My turn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: My turn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 06:44 pm:

I have always enjoyed the posts from other forum members showing family members and there cars. I finally have one of my own. My great grandfather George Dimock lived his whole life in Mt. Uniache Nova Scotia.
This photo shows him with his family in their Ford. I would appreciate some help dating this photo as the was no information with it.

Dimock Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 06:51 pm:

The car is a 1912 and appears to have Torpedo rear fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

Great first pic Dennis, thanks. I suppose Nova Scotia was one of those early right hand drive provinces, anybody know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

I guess it's a Canadian car because it is right-hand drive (but no licence plate or writing anywhere to confirm the negative wasn't flopped when the print was made). The brass windshield, with it's separate, wooden extension on the bottom looks like 1911, but the fore-door installation on a wooden body looks like early 1912. Yes, the rear fenders are very odd, but so is the lack of cowl lamps and the lack of end-caps on the armrests.

Great photo, great family portrait.

By the way, I really like your great-grandfather's cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Dave, Nova Scotia switched from right side to left side April 15 1923 at 0200. Approximately!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Thanks Rob. Must have made for good conversation for the next couple of months, even while driving side by side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

His vest is buttoned left over right, picture should be printed correctly. Nice picture Dennis.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

Excellent detective work, Mr. McDonald!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

The weathering of the brass and the dull appearing splash aprons make it appear that the picture was taken at least 3-4 years after the car was new. If there had been a rear fender bender, I could see them replacing the rear fenders with the 1915-17 fenders that you see. That would fit with the age of the car as pictured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:12 pm:

I'm thinking that the steering wheel is much larger than a normal 1912 T. Both my 1912's have a much smaller spyder and wheel diameter.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:44 pm:

There's no speedometer gear on the far wheel, which confirms that the picture isn't flipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

The rear door overhangs the lower body platform, shorter firewall would indicate 10/11. The front doors resemble 12. Rear fenders are interesting!
The rear doors are flush with the body in 12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 10:24 pm:

Thank all of you for your input.
Great grandpa Dimock was a miner, the mines had all failed by 1912 so a new car seems unrealistic. A school paper written by my grandmother in 1912 says the miners were left to hunt rabbits.
My great grandfather had changed to blacksmithing so he had some income. The boy in the photo is my grandmother's brother Victor. He died in 1922 at 18 so that is all that I had to go on without your help.
Thank you again
Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

The car is a early 1912. The late 1911 have the dip type foredoor. Early 1912 have the straight top door at the same time they were transitioning to the one-piece dash. The step side body was made for a short time before the slab side.

The car is Canadian made, probably a Gray & Son's body. 30x3-1/2" wheels all around. The rear fenders could be commercial roadster fenders from 1912 or replacement 1915-1916 fenders. Horn is 3/4 twist. I agree with H, the steering wheel looks larger. The crank handle is either rubber or painted aluminum.

Thanks for posting. Do you have it available in a high resolution?

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:36 pm:

Was your great grandfather a gold miner? there was a number of gold mines in that area at the turn of the century.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

that back door just don't fit right!!!!!!!!!!charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

Keith
I sent the photo that you requested.
Rob
My great grandfather was a Gold miner.
He was born in Hants 1n 1866 when the mines were just opening.
My grandmother was born at Mt. Uniache Mines, in Hants in 1893.
My grandmother and her surviving brothers and sisters moved to San Diego in the early 1900s.
My Great Grandparents died at Mt. Uniache Mines in the late 1940s.
A search on Mount Uniache Mines gives a very interesting website which shows where they lived and has a copy of my grandmothers essay about the decline of the mine.
Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:28 am:

the way I see this body the door hooks is all that's keeping the back seat from falling off????charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration