OT True barnfind, Overland touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT True barnfind, Overland touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:32 am:

Perhaps someone would like to see pictures of an Overland that was put on stands in a barn in 1939 when gas was unavailable due to WW2 shipping blockades and still sits in the same spot - remarkably well preserved. Guess this is the clean part of the barn. Found the pictures at a swedish facebook group, don't know anything more about the story.
I like the wooden jack for putting it on the stands :-)

overland 1
overland 2
overland 3

I think it's an Overland "Red Bird" model 94, ~1923. There were quite a lot of ads for them in period swedish auto magazines. Overall they didn't sell too well so Willys dropped the Overland brand in 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:34 am:

sorry, model 92 1923 (?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 10:40 am:

Roger, thanks for sharing these photos. Barn finds are very special and it is always nice to see cars that competed with T's for sales.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

Great pics. It seems too well preserved not to have been moved for so long. If you find out more please post.

Thanks for the thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

If that's the case they built a new barn around it.

Vincem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:05 pm:

It's no doubt however been stored somewhere for a long time. Nice car

Vincem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

is this the model with the crazy quarter elliptic suspension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:42 pm:

From what I can see in the photos I would say yes. Chevrolet used a similar front spring for a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

I agree with Mark. look behind the left front wheel. It sure looks like the angled front spring from here. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

Chev used relatively conventional quarter elliptic springs up until 1924 as did many small British and french cars of the period but I remember seeing an overland with quite unconventional angled quarter elliptic springs the like of which I had never seen before - I would be interested to the know the idea behind them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

I realize I am getting off topic here but have attached a few pics I just found on the interweb. It appears they were mainly used on roads with washed out bridges - possibly in Hazard County.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

I'd sure love to have that. my Grandpa had an Overland 4 door sedan in the '20's to haul around his wife and 6 kids.

If the car in the photos was put on blocks in 1939, I assume the owner who put it there went off to fight in the war and was killed and out of respect for him, his parents or his wife left everything of his as he left it when he left in the wishful hope that he may come home one day. Appears that he never did...

I'm 60 and my parents, in their mid 80's still have my room the same as it was when I left for the Marines at 18 in November 1972. I've never slept in it since and never will. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

Looks like a Good Ol' Boy, Ken. Probably never meanin' no harm. Sure beats all I ever saw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manuel Voyages, ACT Australia on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 05:09 am:

I think those pics of the jumping Overland are from Australia.

Manuel in Oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

Manuel I think you are right. There are similar photos attributed to New Zealand so I suspect it was a travelling promotional show. I wonder how many Overland's died in the process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Fortunately there were very few who had to pay the ultimate sacrifice in the defence of neutral Sweden during WW2, so I doubt that was the cause.. Likely the Overland was just considered old fashioned after the war so it was left to rest when gas was available again in the autumn of '45. What's unique is that all offers from junkmen and later on antique auto collectors were denied over the years and that no kids were allowed to play with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

Vince, those could be newer walls but that floor is definitely vintage wood.

Nice pics of an old Overland, Roger. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

This is what the inside walls of 100 year old barns and sheds can look like over here. Nothing special except for the car. Now I've received a message from the guy who posted the pictures at Facebook. It's a complicated inheritance history that has kept the car in place all those years. The father of the photographer was offered to buy in 1948 but declined since he thought it was too old fashioned. Since then it hasn't been for sale. The part owners of the estate can't agree whether to sell or not so the result has been a no sale even though they were offered a large sum 30 years ago. When the photographer first saw it 20 years ago it was covered with stuff and dust as barn cars usually are, so the look in the photos is the result of a recent clean up action by one of the part owners.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration