Am I the only one?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Am I the only one?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:38 am:

It seems like every day there is a new issue with something to repair when I would much rather play with T issues.
Yesterday A power surge took out my PC and phones. Gutters were overflowing from our rain and a door lock fell apart.
Its been going on for days! 8:30 here by 10:00 something should happen LOL!
I need an attitude adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:40 am:

You are not alone. I just found out I have to blow my new tire budget to get a racoon out of my attic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:47 am:

Sounds like your having a Dangerfield moment!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Eatonville,Wa on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:48 am:

No, your not the only one. One year ago I bought a log house that is in need of lots of love,much more love than I realized when I bought it. So I already have a long list of things to do,as well as the "surprises" that happen fairly frequently.Model T ? Yes I think there is a dusty one out in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

I dunno Paul. They sell surge protectors and they also sell gutter screens. The screens are for those who don't realize they live in an area with deciduous trees and gutters need an occasional cleaning. The attitude adjustment depends on local regulations (medical marijuana) ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

Things are improving. I scared the raccoon out of the hole it dug in my roof and went outside up a ladder. I saw the raccoon on the roof and flung a shovel at it. I nailed it with a real lucky shot and sent it running down the street. I fixed the roof. Just hoping it never returns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

A 25 cent 12 gauge shotgun shell will get the coon out of the attic.Long as you don't shoot toward the roof,you should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

LOL,Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

Hey,tires are darn expensive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

Glad to hear u up and about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Mine involves a storm door the wind ripped off the house. Then there's the gate between the house and the shop. The dining area needs to be re-tiled the screens need to be replaced on the other 2 storm doors. The latch in the spare bedroom closet door needs to be replaced. The faucet on master bathroom sink needs to be replaced. The decks need a coat or two of new stain. I need to rebuild the steps and landing on the door that needs the storm door replaced. Then shampoo the carpets. Then on Saturday...

Actually none of this crap is going to get done until the Sedan gets done. And it doesn't help I've developed a scored cylinder in the touring car. This spring I need 10 yards of black dirt hauled in for top soil then aerate the soil, spread some fertilizer and after a couple week grass seed the front yard. Did I mention the shop needs to be cleaned and I want to put some gardens in by the house. I really should have a re-coat put down on the driveway. I want to repair some nicks and dents in the walls and I notice just the other day some of the Sheetrock screws are starting to rear their ugly heads. I need to take the ceiling light out of the living room and put in a ceiling fan. Then put a coat of paint on the walls and get this place ready to peddle. I want to be out of here and headed for Az by November.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:50 pm:

Bride home after twelve hours of hard work! so much for folks needing employment----they don't want to work, just get paid.
Had a beer after fixing my issues at the watering hole. Like me the gambling machine at the hole went south even with a surge protector!
You should have seen how fast the state sent out an expert to fix it-----they cant lose revenue.
Ya sure shoot a coon---the IRS, animal cruelty, Oregon land use conservatory gun control and a green neighbor would be snooping my shorts taking my gun saying the coon had a right to make a hole in my roof----he was wet and cold!
Damn! my attitude is getting much better!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:05 am:

Around here I shoot varmints,count legs later..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:38 am:

Mike,

After reading this I'm exhausted. I'll check in again after my nap. I usually write my "honey do" list on a roll of toilet paper. Jobs get "finished" every day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:39 am:

Mike, I was down in Yuma in January, You can cross the border just west of it on foot. Many Americans use that area for dental work including me. The dentist has more credentials then mine at home.
Unemployment in Yuma is the nations highest at 26 percent. Interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:47 am:

Most places won't let you shoot a gun with in 500 yards of a home, That said, A high powered pellet gun with the pointed pellets and close range can do just as much damage as a big gun without the noise and legal problems. I get skunks once in a while at my NY place and I found that once I hit a few with the pellet gun the problem goes away. Your coon may be back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:46 am:

Coons carry all kinds of bad stuff according to my vet. A few years past one chewed up my small dog just outside my bedroom window. Ran out butt ass naked in the dark and rescued the dog then realized the coon was next to my leg growling. If he would have bit me a long series of shots would have been in order.
Spoon fed that dog for a week, he made old age but I prefer to keep my distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:06 am:

A coon got one of our exotic chickens last year. All that was left were a few feathers and the feet.

We got this one out at 2am before she caught any of the chickens. Her baby was hiding nearby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:21 am:

Just put out over a grand for unexpected repairs on my 2003 Buick, then found out I have to do the same for the 2006 F-250. That's more than 2 grand for the modern "reliable" cars that I would much rather put towards the speedster project. Oh, well, my delightful brother-in-law just sent me the brass era steering column I needed for it, so maybe life evens out over time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:43 am:

Will A drop of oil in the pellet of an air powered gun increases power to about 2/3 of a .22 and you don't have to get so close But I prefer the cross bow SBD. back on thread thought I was going to get the "T" new trans drums then the rental property A/C and hot water generator both went out in the same week, Sheesh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:52 am:

Good to see you posting Ralph take care!

Hate to say it Wayne but that's why I drive Toyotas. 209K on my 2000 Echo with almost nothing done to it and 40 mpg at mostly 80 mph
on free ways.
Just put a new set of 90 K Michelins on it after the Yuma trip at less cost then T tires!!
Japanese car and French tires!
What happened to American quality?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

Paul,

Had to eat a new block on the wife's Subaru several years ago when a factory defect let go. Son's Nissan was a constant nickle-and-dime until we replaced it with a VW for my daughter. VW is still going strong with minimal outlay. Not sure its a US vs everybody else thing, modern cars are just a pain. My friends high-end BMW has more gizmos on it than the space shuttle - more to go wrong, but its all modular.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

Could be, could be Wayne I picked up a 96 Tercel with 29 K on it for backup it has almost the same engine as the Echo you cant find for sale. plenty of power a tin can with no power anything to go wrong not even a trunk liner sort of a 96 Model T that gets 35mpg. All the Toyotas I have owned since 85 were still running good at over 250K when sold.
Like I said at the beginning of this thread I am having an attitude issue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:28 pm:

340K on my 91 honda civic, lots of miles left to go yet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:03 pm:

Why didn't Toyota build their nuke power plants, if they're so good?

Toyota just got fined $1Billion by DOT for lying and cheating on their e-throttle issue. They built a vital safety circuit with no redundancy. They also owned 20% of a Jap co. that made 150,000 airline seats with faked flammability tests.

I have an attitude issue, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:41 pm:

I did not follow those issues Ralph. My posts are based on three decades of hands on use.

Everyone have a great day I have to get some thing done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

One of my best friends had a similar critter in the attic issue that involved a gigantic possum and a pair of vice grip pliers locked onto the tail. It was bad for both of them. Sometimes there is no pretty way out. Some folks just hate to hire a pro for such seemingly easy "man" jobs. Live and learn.

Somehow the photo makes him look more clean than he actually smelled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

Yikes, I had no idea that possums had such big canine teeth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

Good for you RD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

Hey Ralph, good to know your still reading the MTFCA forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:53 pm:

All teeth, no attitude! I always thought those things could mess you up with teeth like that till the lady next door caught a couple of them in her woods and pole shed. She grabs them by the tail and picks them up and holds them like a cat while she pets them and walks over to where she feels they should be and lets them go. I have picked them up by the tail but wont trust them that far since the end I grab has no teeth or claws. Darn things like cat food so I give them a ride in the cage in the back of the pickup when I catch them now. If I shoot them and dig a hole something always digs them up and then the dog finds what's left. They smell better alive but not much better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 03:00 am:

This has got to be ...

The strangest thread so far this year ... :-)

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Turned into one Jim, I apologize to anyone I might have offended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

I think it's great. It's nice to be able to vent once in awhile. Besides, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have problems.<g> Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

I don't have time to rant. Boy, do I want to.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

No apologies Paul V. I like this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

In the barn today I noticed a wet surface on the floor under the speedster. Expecting the worse I looked closer to find it was water and ice (floor is frozen from sub-zero temps) that did not come from the car. As near as I can determine it was caused by the ice and snow sliding off the metal roof forming a solid bank a few feet from the barn wall that acted as a dam. This caused a backing up of run off rain water that seeped into the barn. Bad thing is that is the side where I had stacked substantial boxes of items destined for a spring sale. Never had water there in 14 years. Also got to several boxes of Christmas decorations which didn't make the wife very happy. Dumpsters are expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

I often remove possums from my yard after my small dog corners them. They sure look ferocious, but they do not put up much of a fight and often fall "dead" with some impressive acting. Now raccoons are a different story, they will attack if cornered and carry rabies. Possums do not carry rabies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 09:11 am:

A friend shot a raccoon with a 410 after several days of the coon eating the dog food dish next to his door. The coon came after him, its a good thing it was a repeating shotgun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 10:14 am:

We once caught a coon in a large hav-a-heart trap that we use to trap squirrels that empty our bird feeders.
We quickly learned that it was not a good idea to leave it set at night
They make a lot of noise, leave a mess, and when we take them across the river to let them go they take their time when leaving the trap.
We finally learned that leaving a couple cans with ammonia near the feeders kept them away

The squirrels remain a problem - they are not bothered by the ammonia, spraying them with vinegar water only makes them run away for a few minutes and a short time after we relocate one group another moves into the neighborhood.
Relocating them involves a 3 mile drive and crossing a river so we don't think they are returning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 10:22 am:

My understanding is that Opossums don't really play dead but their primitive nervous systems go haywire and they have a short nervous breakdown. They are among the ugliest critters I know of! We often picked one up (by the tail) that the dogs had cornered/fought with that looked dead and put it in the ditch or wherever and later find that it had woke up and walked away.
BTW, I've never seen one with straight teeth like the one in the picture. Every one I've seen looked like it badly needed an orthodontist!
Back to T's...working on the 12 tooth setup in a Ruckstell yesterday and today (before we go from 70 degrees to 12 tomorrow with a blizzard predicted). Trial and error trying to get the tolerances with the ring gear and the thrust washers "just so".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:07 am:

Think your smart to go with a Ruckstell over a Mark E Noel if that's what you are doing. My intention with my 16 is to spin it more with a 10 tooth to get top speed 45 or so but quicker acceleration. It will be well balanced.

Left ND once with a Metz in my van, 30 below wind blowing and black ice through half of Montana. This constant rain is depressing but I will live with it!

Never seen it but I guess Fun projects has a modern set up that eliminates the pinion hassle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Here in California it is spring and warm with flowers blooming all over. The squirrels and rabbits are jumping around and the rats are climbing the date palms to get the dates. The state has outlawed poison bait and even DE-con for use inside a garage or attic. Unfortunately, cats would solve the problem, but in this area the cats can't go outside or coyotes will eat the cats.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:46 am:

A few years ago Our two dogs (75 lb Lab and 120 lb Newf) cornered a possum in our yard. He looked to be 25 lbs. I don't know how big they come but that looked big to me. It looked just like the photo above, except for the cage.

I am amazed at the lady picking those things up by the tail. They hiss and sputter and show those teeth. Apparently our local animal schools forgot to teach these things how to play possum. They seem to want to play deranged rabid slasher, axe murderer instead. I grabbed my two dogs and dragged them into the house where we could all hide.

Next time I went out the critter was gone, never to return. Disney pictures cute cuddly puff balls hanging by their tails in rows on branches! I never want to see what kind of damage those teeth can do! I wouldn't want to discover they got into one of my T's either.

Reading what I've written, does that make me a sissy or a coward?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Daughter in Lake Port says they are at 45 percent of necessary water with very low water in the reservoirs I seen for myself. Seems to me a productive stroke of the pen would create jobs and food by barging and train moving Columbia river water south. California green and Oregon green would not agree with it----I would vote for it.
Flowers are blooming here as well, The lawn is growing so fast its hard to keep up with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 11:33 am:

It's like the old lady said when she got off the plane and her nose started bleeding, "If it ain't one thing it's the other."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration