Old Photo - Screwing Around In A Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Screwing Around In A Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

Not T??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

jay!! that aint no mod t nor overland. that's all I know!!!charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

Well you got me, should duh looked closer with my eye glasses on before posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

Kinda looks like a Chevrolet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:22 pm:

RHD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:25 pm:

Regardless of the car make, is it reasonable to think a car equipped with "snow screws" will achieve enough traction to effectively pull all those people in the sled? Seems like a reach to me. Furthermore, if they do get it going and encounter a downhill slope, how the heck will they stop it?

T or not, it's a cool photo(pardon the pun), Jay. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb, Watertown WI on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274#aid=P8Q9FRvMhiQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

The Snow unit was (Motor Sled) patented and built in Seattle Wa.by F.R.Burch. Patent 1916 granted 1917 reissued 1918. Picture was taken in Canada, need to check files to find out where in Canada.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

Amazing. Thanks for the link Brian. I hereby withdraw my concerns about traction!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

In the 19-sixties a group within Chrysler was working on a similar concept vehicle for the Canadian military. Don't know what became of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

It's an Armstead Snow Motor attachment. They were made for Fords, Fordsons, Chevrolet, and possibly other brands.

You can watch an original promotional film for these units on Youtube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 07:09 pm:

There were also some screw type units powered both by steam and gas invented by a man named Peavey around 1900 for use in the logging industry.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

Hi Bob
I’m sure that the concept was easy to grasp so there were
likely many different classifications using the basic idea.

Here are a three of the earliest ones that I have seen while messing around in patents,

J.J.A. Morath for an “Agricultural Machine” issued on Oct 24, 1899.

J.J.A. Morath
Clayton, Missouri
Agricultural Machine
Patent number: 635501
Filing date: May 18, 1899
Issue date: Oct 24, 1899
http://tinyurl.com/l9fzula

C.E.S. Burch was issued a patent for an “Ice Locomotive” on Mar 5, 1901.

Charles E.S. Burch
Seattle, Washington
Ice Locomotive
Filing date: Jun 11, 1900
Issue date: Mar 05, 1901
http://tinyurl.com/kcnanzz

I.Q.A. Peavey, (who was the inventor of the “Peavy” log handling tool) was issued his patent for a “Snow Locomotive” on Aug 20, 1907.

Ira Q.A. Peavey
Bangor, Maine
Assignor to Charles L. Hathaway
and Charles D. Whittier
Passadumkeag, Maine
Snow-Locomotive
Filing date: Nov 16, 1904
Issue date: Aug 20, 1907
http://tinyurl.com/l3nplgf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

This is my version, it is a snowmobile. I got it from a guy named Huck so we call it "The Huckmobile" I have had it for years, it is a someday project. It was suppose to be built from plan in Popular Mechanics

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

dennis, that is really cool!! tell us more about it please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

That's super cool, Dennis :-)
Maybe it was made out of a drop tank from a ww2 plane? What under the hood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Drop tank and a couple grain augers and your ready to run the Irondog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:22 am:

good guess mike, but that thing looks to good to be home made to me. body i think is from a kids carnaval ride. side scoops look like a 38 dodge head light bucket cut in half!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 11:24 am:

SWEET, So was the previous owners name Jules Verne? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 02:20 pm:

All that I know about it is the body is a P51 wing tank the side vents are headlight buckets the steering wheel is a pulley with part of it cut away and there are suppose to be wooden skis on the front. I am planning on putting a 5hp Briggs motor running a hydraulic pump and motors off of a wheel line(farm irrigation self moving water system), and burners out the back for effect. It has no power plant in it now. It has been in many local parades on floats as a rocket ship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

Was it ever successful as a snow vehicle?
Maybe 5 hp would be a bit slow, perhaps you can fit a snowmobile engine in there? A modern engine in an old body - a cool snow rod :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration