Back In Business

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Back In Business
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 04:23 pm:

My T is up an running again, thanks to Dave Johnson of Wilkinson, WA. Amazingly enough, I was truly blessed in that very little damage was done to the engine when the crank broke last November. A "new" crank was ground to fit the existing bearings, a new AL timing gear was put in, and new rings were installed (the car was burning a lot of oil - probably a quart every 300 miles). He also looked the transmission over, made some minor adjustments, and made sure that the pan was straight.

I friend and I picked up the engine on Saturday and I installed it that afternoon. I made a video on Sunday and posted it on Youtube so you could hear the engine. This is after it's second start-up. I then took it out for two gentle drives and noticed a marked improvement in acceleration. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j__obJJ4KI&list=HL1395863976&feature=mh_lolz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

Congratulations, sounds great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

Congratulations Jim, glad to here you are back on the road. Dave's a good guy in my book and it's nice that you had/found a crank that could be ground to fit the still good babbitt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

Jim,

About your oil consumption of a qt per 300 miles, that is well within reason. Most T owners report a qt per 100 to 300 miles and in the day, was much worse.

In "Tin Lizzie" by Phillip Van Doren Stern it was reported the account of fuel and oil usage for a 1,357 mile trip to be 68 gallons of gas and 11-1/2 gallons of oil. That's about 30 miles per qt.

It will be interesting to see of you reduce your oil consumption. A T is not a modern car that will go 5000 miles without having to add oil.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Well done Jim...it runs as nice as your pinky's over the 88 keys. Dave did the babbitt in our engine as well. Turned out good !! Thanks for sharing !! W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

Lookin' good, Jim.
My tudor has a Dave Johnson engine in it.
Congrats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

Welcome back to the by-ways!! Be looking for you on our tours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

A quart per 300 miles! I change oil 1,000 to 1,500 miles never add oil on any of my T models, all are high mileage engines

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 05:25 am:

There must be a big difference between original piston engines with old style wide rings - the lowest ring looks just like the two others in an original engine. New piston rings for cast iron pistons and aluminum pistons has more modern oil rings at the lowest position and should burn a lot less oil than an engine with original style rings, I believe?

The extremely high oil consumption on the trip with the prototype T in 1908 was due to an oil pipe towards the fourth main that turned out to be unnecessary and cause oil leaks to the u-joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

good nice to have another T on the road.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration