Vintage style blinkers?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Vintage style blinkers?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Does anyone know of a company that makes blinker assemblies that would seem appropriate and period correct if the t actually came with blinkers?..All the ones i have looked at look very cheap like they were made in China and something i would never consider attaching to a t. I want a metal base instead of plastic, any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:31 am:

I haven't shopped for front ones, but forties era or earlier motorcycle tail lights are good for rear turn signals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:50 am:

Thanks Steve..Everything seems to be made of plastic, the worst part is the the part you have to somehow bolt to the steering column is hideous. I want metal that looks like it was made to be there....Maybe a new market in the making?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:02 am:

They come up on E bay regular, but I think you will have to put a modern blinker - not sure. I think their from about the 40's very cool. I have tried for em and always been out bid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:11 am:

Thanks Tom, will probably have to compromise till something better comes along...Just doing some research on the car i am in the process of buying, great info, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 07:40 am:

Turn signals didn't come out until 1938 I think, so there's nothing "period correct" about them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 07:46 am:

For the rear on my 25 pu I use the T rear light from 23-25 tourings and roadsters with orange lenses I cut down from a truckers supply shop and the original spring ring. For the front I got lights from the truck shop, metal with orange lens that are the same diameter as the ones on the back. They are kinda hidden under the front fenders fastened with a bracket I made that is bolted to the fender irons. All 4 light cups are painted black. My switch is a dbl throw toggle fastened under the dash but easy to reach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 07:49 am:

My local Auto-Zone has round metal signal lights with red lens. They are sold as trailer marker lights and look "old". With a two-filament bulb they work as brake lights and turn signals.

They were out of any yellow lens type, and I want something round, preferably a beehive type for the front turn signals. So I on e-Bay I bought two turn signal lights off a 1970s British motorcycle. They are round, beehive and look old. Paid $25 for the pair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 07:56 am:

There were mechanical turn indicators used in the T era. I've seen a type that mounts on the license plate, with a lever mounted in the drivers compartment to control its indication. I think Jay posted pics of it as an accessory of the day?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:06 am:

Got these at Tractor Supply. They are metal and drum style. About $5 each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:19 am:

I used marker lights from an old flatbed I had for turn signals. They have glass lenses and looked pretty good. The big light is my brake light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:52 am:

I used the same style lights as Gary and a Signal Stat column mounted switch, looks old time enough for me. I debated on the mounting point for the front lights, between the top of the fenders like a truck or under the headlights, I went with under the headlights. The column mounted switch puts it where you would normally reach to turn the lights on so is one less thing to think about when driving. I did flip the horn button over to the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:54 am:

I disagree that turn signals were not made or used in the T era. Along with many types of mechanical signals that Royce mentioned, and some of these are wonderfully wacky, I have a turn signal unit that is patented, clamps to the unusual shaped steering column, and is a great looking simple unit. Period looking lights are a challenge, but they are out there, and the fun is the search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

i am with tim m. nothing more ugly than a nice old car with plastic hardware store lights. those little truck markers that pat used are everywhere. not truly "period" but glass, cheep and easy to find. lots and lots of brand x cowl lights at every swap, and on ebay. may take some time to get a nice pair, but worth the effort and hunting is a big part of this game

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Here is what I did for the front of my 26 touring.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/6071398092/in/set-72157627496246348

The rear.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/6070816127/in/set-72157627496246348

Most important of all, the hidden 3 way toggle signal switch. I also think the column mounted unit is ugly. Put mine below the seat within easy reach, but out of sight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/4121208046/in/set-72157622721239127

Blinker unit under seat.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/4120434313/in/set-72157622721239127/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

Tim, can you please post some pictures of your setup? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

You can still get the old style universal turn signal switches in chrome or black. They are big and ugly, but still the same old style they have always been. I think the old Signal-Stat numbers were 902 and 903. Grote, Trucklite, or Napa should list them. Some of the vendor catalogs have a small box with a switch and indicator lights that clamps to the spark lever.

Probably the oldest style light that you will find is the "beehive" clearance light. They date back to at least the forties, and maybe even the thirties. Go to a place that sells lights, chrome, and accessories to truckers. You will find hundreds of styles of lights, some with glass lenses. I have found "beehives" with chrome steel bases and glass lenses in red and amber. Take some sandpaper to the chrome and then paint it if you don't like the chrome. The red lenses are very dark and almost disappear under a black T body. They look great when lit, and match the other red glass lenses on the back of the car. The amber ones are orange and don't hide as well, but they do look old and are much better than bright yellow and red reflectorized plastic lenses.

Here is a pic of one of the ambers, I can't find one of the red lens right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

Here's what I did...(1914 Runabout)

Rear(tail/turn - right & left under fenders):

Front (turn -in running lights:

The rear tail/brake light is in the rear running light.
The effect is fairly subtle since the original running lights are used, and the rear turns are under the fenders.

Not "Period Correct", but there ain't no such thing!
Jon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration