New to T's dumb question...apologise in advance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New to T's dumb question...apologise in advance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Marshall on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:41 am:

Hi All, I took someone's great advise and bought the two Model T books, The service Manual and the Model T Ford, the car that changed the world.
Now I have collected about 80% of two 1923??? T's. Both have Made in Canada on the engines. The truck has small brake drums and the diff from the tourer has larger brake drums. There seems to be a few differences in them. I guess I need to identify the exact year of either one. Here comes the dumb question, how exactly do I do that. I can't find serial numbers on things. When I restored my Austin 7"s there were numbers on most things that I was able to identify what year etc.
Thanks in advance Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:49 am:

David - The serial number is located just above the water inlet on the left side of the engine block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Marshall on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:29 am:

The Serial number on the truck is C467038, I take from this it was made on the 12th Feb 1924. BUT was it built a truck, can I find that out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:34 am:

It will take pictures to get reliable answers for year identification on many parts or cars. The engine's serial number is, as Mike V says, above the water inlet on the left side of the engine block. From sometime 1915 until December 1925, there was no other Ford serial number on a model T.
As far as the rear axle assembly is concerned, there are TT truck rear ends, or the car chassis truck uses the standard car rear end. Car rear ends generally can be small drum from 1909 until the end of the 1925 model year. There were many major changes in the first six years, several minor changes from 1915 on. The 1926 and '27 model year rear ends had a larger and better emergency/parking brake. Often, earlier Ts had the later rear end put into them for the better brake. Some people still do that, and my '24 coupe had a '26 rear end in it when I got it some years ago. Many parts, engines, rear ends, and almost anything else may have been changed during the past 90 or so years.
Canadian Ts may have differences from the USA Ts. Also, there are after-market accessories to ad confusion.
With so many minor variations, photos would help us help you a lot.
Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:08 am:

I would say fourth of february if they made about 248 Model T engines a day in february '24 :-) (haven't seen any break down day by day for Canadian T's - is there one?)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/140611.html?1274321412

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:15 am:

Hi David, and Welcome!

Contact David Chantrell in Adelaide. He is one of the authorities on T's and definitely the guru on Canadian T's...

Look him up on the forum, or send me a PM and I will put you in touch.

Well done,
Justin
South Africa,

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration