OT - The American Underslung – An Impressive and Stylish Automobile

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - The American Underslung – An Impressive and Stylish Automobile
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 06:38 am:

The underslung car was featured at the recent Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, which makes for a perfect time for all of us to learn a little more about this unique form of car. Much more info and many excellent photos by Richard Owen are on The Old Motor today @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=117518

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 07:18 am:

This is a Regal Underslung competing in the Glidden Tour, 1909. Photo property of the Henry Ford.

Interestingly, I have been unable to find any evidence the Model K Ford ever competed for the Glidden trophy. Surely it would have been better suited than the Regal Underslung.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

The Norwalk underslung is another. The only remaining example is owned by the city of martinsburg, wv, where it was made. Norwalk was started in Norwalk, Ohio, where they made high wheeler autos in 1909. They got in money troubles, and moved out of town, basically in the middle of the night, to WV. Google norwalk underslung for the whole story, which is fascinating. It is an amazing auto, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

Back in the early 1980s I helped the then-owner of this auto roll it up into his trailer. As we were some young bucks at the time, he enjoyed telling us all about it. Quite an impressive piece of machinery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 12:17 pm:

Forgot to say, it was at Hershey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:02 pm:

In the early 70's I was told of 3 underslung chassis that where in the basement of a house in Santa Cruz, Ca. There were two engines that were correct and one for an overslung model. They turned out to be Regal Underslung Model 20 chassis. I kept the 1911 as it was most complete and sold the 1909 and 1913 models. For 30 years the chassis sat in storage until about 2003, when I decided to finally build something out of it. I think about 2004 or 05 I had it at Chickasha for sale. It ultimately sold to Denmark and is nearing completion the last I heard. It was a fun car to work on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

A couple more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

Tom: I looked at your Regal a Hershey at the time and was really impressed with the car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration