How to balance wooden spoke wheels....................

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How to balance wooden spoke wheels....................
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:10 am:

I took a ride up to Estes Park, Colorado in my 1920 Dodge Touring with Mr. David Huson and his 1916 Ford Touring car. I desperately need to balance my 33 x's 4 wooden fellow wheels. What ways do members balance their wheels? My rims are fairly straight but a little out of round. Any and all advise is welcome. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:47 am:

There are balancing beads of different brands sold for pouring into the tube. They help the tire to be in balance every time you drive as the tire wears even if you take the tire off and put it onto the rim again as long as the beads stay in the tube. They don't look ugly like some weights applied onto the wheel - the only thing negative with them is cost and the time it takes to pour them into the valve.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/5582

I've drilled my valves slightly larger, helped a lot when pouring them in, just as knocking with a metal tool on the valve while pouring into a funnel fitting on the valve.

Dynabeads has been discussed earlier at the forum - google the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:07 am:

Get tire sealant for tubes. This will seal leaks and balance the tire at the same time. Not the pressure can stuff, the type you pump in. HAS TO BE FOR TUBES. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 01:20 pm:

first i'd go after the out of round issue. a little side run out you may not feel, but out of round will not be fixed by balance. are they demountables?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

Yes, they are demountables and the rims are often out of round when found. It takes time, but Clayton is right, get the rims round first!
(I've been working on my DB 25" rims is why I seem familiar with them!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:34 pm:

I too say make them round. I bet that's all it needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 03:47 pm:

If the rims are out of round, that is first fix.

Wood spoke wheels can also be out of round, and any balancing isn't going to help that.

As for demountable rims, you can try to straighten, or you can try to shim out the rim from the felloe at one or more of the rim bolts. But a badly bent out of round rim is fixed or replaced.

Just bought these rims at Chickasha.
Which looked good from rim edge and bolt lugs.

The alum painted one is right on. Good to go.

Now the rust one seemed good out in the field, wish there was some flat concrete to lay it on before the wallet came out. :-(

My experience is this is too much run out to shim, need to find another rim.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 04:16 pm:

Since pans are straightened all the tine, maybe your rim can be straightened too, Dan?
Clamped to a flat surface with a lot of heat..?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

I've been using Dyna-Beads and they work surprisingly well.

I found it easy enough to funnel them into the old style, brass air valve stems (which I have on my rear wheels). With the slimmer, modern, rubber air valve stems (as in the case of my front wheels), it's more difficult, but with patience, can be done.

An electric engraver provides the right kind of vibration to get the slimmer, modern stems to swallow the beads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

It also helps if you wait until it's not a really humid day. The humidity makes the beads stick to the rubber stem. Once they are in there though the beads work really well. I was blown away by the difference they made in the ride of my speedster. Until I installed the beads I didn't know how much vibration I was dealing with just from my wheels being out of balance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

It would be a lot easier to put Dyna-beads into a tube with brass stems if you first remove the stem from the tube. You could then insert a small funnel and the beads would go in easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:57 pm:

Dan, I wouldn't count that rim out yet. Think about it awhile. It got bent somehow, it should be able to be straightened somehow. If you have a press big enough for the rim to fit into laying flat, I think it can be done. You'll need to bridge across the press table for the rim to set on with the bent area unsupported underneath. Then, bridge across the top to press down on the high spot(s). You may need the make a spreader block(s) to put between the clinchers so the rim doesn't collapse. Don't use heat, it will just bend where ever the pressure is, not gradually on each side of the pressure. With a bit of trial and error, I think you may be successful. I wish I was closer, I'd like to try it.Hope you can make some sense out of my crude explanation. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

David

Thanks but nope, beyond my garage talents. There are so many better rims out there.

The bend is crosswise, as in warped with a twist, will take some real experience and big press, tools, and $. I do get frames straightened, last one I got fixed cost $100, but won't think about spending on this old rim.

This one is for sale for postage only, bet no one on this forum offers to have me ship it to them COD :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration