Front brake kit?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front brake kit?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:46 am:

Are we anywhere near to having something like a period style accessory front brake kit available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

Probably 6 months away

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

That's great news. Can you give us a hint of what to expect?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

Exact copy of the original McNerney accessory brake except with a cast iron brake drum for better performance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:02 am:

AWESOME!!!!

Since were speaking of front brakes has anyone ever seen a set of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:26 am:

Les, That big news. Hope all goes well.

Braking is the Achilles' heel of T for safe daily use...I'm talking big city daily use with lots of traffic, stop lights, and silly drivers.

OT- but is anyone making cast iron small drums or RM drums?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 02:55 am:

I wonder how good the spindles were on those Heinzelman brakes? From the picture, it looks like that unit is a casting. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:08 am:

Heinzelman had an earlier patent as well, but
this one matches the date on the one in the ad.

Edmund G. Heinzelman
Belleville, Illinois
Automobile Brake
Patent number: 1596266
Filing Date Dec 19, 1924
Issue Date Aug 17, 1926
http://tinyurl.com/lwwn6mk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 11:41 am:

David and Art
The spindles. Tough to say. They could well be cast steel. Metallurgy was marching quickly now.

The patent drawings. Please not the tilted kingpins. It had obviously been realized that this was a important aspect of making front brakes truly good. I see they are also internally expanding.

On the tilted kingpin issue. I of course have done this on my '27 that I have been running for 3 years now. It makes the car handle like a dream. I have talked to a guy who does axle "dropping" professionally about resetting the camber to 9 degrees (this works out to be a good angle). He has offered at $300.00 outright (no core). I have talked again to my favorite foundry about getting new spindles with brake flanges and 11 degree angle in them cast from 4340. I still need to make the patterns. Toss up whether to go sand cast or investemnt/lost wax process. The foundry can do either.
If you don't tilt the kingpins a person should consider a better steering box (which of course I am close to having the first 10 Ross boxes finished).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:59 am:

Les, will the kit be usable with both wood and wire wheels? How about with RM kits and the 26-27 equaliser kits?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration