Insurance and injuries

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Insurance and injuries
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

On March 9 we were on a tour in Sierra Vista Arizona and we got back to the hotel. I reached into the trunk of the 26 Roadster to get a stick made especially for checking the oil without having to crawl under the car. I accidently bumped the support and the lid fell down on my hand. This caused a near amputation of the end of my left middle finger. I was taken to the regional medical center for 9 stitches. See attached pictures. (not intended as an obscene jesture)

I gave the medical center my medicare number and the number of my supplemental insurance and went back to the hotel. I finished up the tour for the next two days and went home. About a week later I got a letter from the attorney representing the medical center asking for information about the auto accident and what drivers had been involved and police reports etc. I called and told them that no one was driving the car, that it was parked and the lid fell down and cut my hand. I was informed that since an automobile was involved, my auto medical insurance would cover it and Medicare would not pay.

Now for some questions, have any others had similar accidents and who paid the medical bills. This has me concerned about working on my own or others' cars at home. What if I should be working on my car and have an injury, would I inform my auto insurance co or use my regular medical insurance? My neighbor who is a retired salesman for insurance says he never gets the auto medical insurance for his cars because if he is injured his personal medical insurance will pay and if someone else is injured, his liability insurance will pay.

I have informed my auto insurer and the attorney representing the medical center and have yet to find out how this case will be resolved

Perhaps there are some attorneys in the club who are familiar with the laws who could shed some light on this.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Glad I have free health care

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Kolano on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

But our taxes are high...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

I would have taken you at your word without the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

Since you made it clear it was an auto related incident you auto policy medical will cover that and your rates will go up for the claim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

I think your second photo summarizes the situation fully. What a load. To bad you didn't just say "something" fell on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Ouch. That was painful for sure.

My son-in-law got scalped by my daughter, they were washing the car in the driveway (something rare for that pair to do!) and he was bending down to clean the lower panel, she opened the car door and the door lower edge crowned him very well, lots of blood and stitches needed to close the scalp wound.

He had the same thing happen, his Health care accident policy refused and said to claim on his Auto policy, later the Auto insurance co. said no. Seems the car was not moving, so no claim due by Auto insurance co, so the Health care insurance finally paid up to the hospital. You just have to be persistent, that what he had to do, go thru all the steps to correct the mess.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

I lost my tip of my finger after Christmas working working in my shop. Was transported via ambulance. The trama center asked me what I did and I told them that I was working in my garage on a press when the part slipped and crushed my finger. They asked me if it was auto related, Workmans Comp, or personel accident. They were trying see who's going to pay the $12,000 bill.. I told them it was personel and the whole bill was covered by my health care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Ouch! That looks like what happened to me when working at Mom's this summer and I got my pinky too close to the table saw. My insurance "covered" it - not really, as I had a $300.00 deductible. I will ask a friend of mine who is about your age and works on old cars. I will see if he has any answers and get back to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:00 pm:

Rob, nothing is free. you must pay taxes to accomodate the health care you all receive. Your government then dictates what the health care dollars are spent on. Our taxes don't reflect the cost of health care for our masses, aside from all those receiving public assistance. Even our older individuals on the federal Medicaid program pay a premium for health care, often out of their Social Security benefits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

True doc. We do pay taxes. However there is no questions when we need it. Not perfect. But incredibly convenient. And the government doesn't dictate what the money is spent on. Individual health boards and hospitals do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

Rob, when I lived in the Netherlands (a lifetime ago), someone said to me, "You Americans have to pay for health insurance. We don't have to. The government pays for it." Yeah, sure.... TANSTAAFL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

While traveling in South Africa last summer I fell climbing around on a mountain cut a gash in my head. Went to an emergency room nice modern hospital. Took eight stitches to sew up my head. Was in and out of the ER in one hour and the total bill was $94.00. Only shows how broken our medical system is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

When the health insurance company asked me how I broke 4 lumbar vertebrae I told them I fell out of a deer stand I had setup in my yard they just went ahead and paid. Now I would tell them to charge the VA within 24 hrs. I don't know if I've ever used my Medicare or my supplemental insurance. Actually with 100% of my medical paid by the VA I'm not really sure why I'm paying supplemental insurance. I pay for my Medicare. That should be enough. I'm healthcare insurance poor. And no I don't pay taxes on anything except booze, tires, gas and purchases. That enough to have to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

Mike,
FYI - I recently was found to be eligible for full VA medical. When I had an opportunity to ask a live person at the Palo Alto, CA clinic if I needed to have a Medicare supplemental plan, he said that the VA is a medical care provider, not an insurance plan. The VA would take care of all health needs BUT you could have a problem if you need emergency/ugent care, particularly if you are away from home. A Medicare supplemental policy seemed to make sense based on that information.

Since that time the VA has promulgated a flyer that outlines how to get emergency care in a non-VA facility and have the VA cover the cost. You may want to look this over based on current rules. I decided a medicare supplemental is a waste of money for me. After doing your own research with your own situation in mind, you may come to the same conclusion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Several years ago 2 of my sons and I were chasing a possum through the barn. The older one put his hand against the spare tire on one of my speedsters as he turned. Next day his hand was swelled--broken. When he told them how it happened, they wanted my car ins policy number. I told them it was an 80 year old pile of parts that was not, and had never been, registered or insured. They filed with my Blue Cross who would not pay until after I completed the form they sent me explaining there was no car insurance to file with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 09:07 am:

Gotta love insurance no one wants to pay I slipped in my bathroom and needed 12 stitches above my eye so tri-care sent a form wanting to know who I got in a fight with and did they have insurance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 09:21 am:

Insurance must be a lucrative business considering the number of solicitations from various sources that come in the mail.

Think about it, what a great business model! Get the money up front in the form of premiums, then use a small fraction of the money to hire a team of lawyers to help minimize the number of claims you have to pay out.

The only thing that would make it better would be to get congress to pass a law requiring people to buy your product - oops, wait, they're already doing that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

Well if you want some more pee in your corn flakes just read your home owners policy.
Dad just looked over some changes made on ours at 1700 bucks a year and you know it wont cover mold damage?
And there is so much other stuff it wont cover.
I think if a person is well off enough money wise he would be better off just buying the very minimum insurance he had to for getting by the law and just deposit the money he would be spending in a bank to fall back on when needed.
And lease everything so if sued, there is nothing to get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

A few months ago I got a letter from my auto insurance company for my daily driver offering me a "variable premium" policy.

They wanted to install a monitoring device in my car that would transmit data on how I drove and where I went to a central database. Their computer would then analyze the data and determine my premium based on my particular driving habits and locations.

I called my agent and told him that I had decided to decline the offer and that the scheme was the most evil application of modern technology that I had heard of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

I agree with you 100% Mark! The sad part is that many individuals in our younger generations are becoming so conditioned to "technology" in their lives they accept this sort of thing as OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

Mark;
Do u have Progressive Ins. They have been advertising that for a while. Another way to keep u under their thumb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

I work in insurance regulation for the State of Michigan. The biggest thing I can tell anyone is to NOT shop for insurance based purely on price. In my experience, what you pay in premium is a direct indicator of the service you will receive.

As with most things in life, you do get what you pay for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

Progressive Ins...
CAUTION : possible thread drift...

reading for a cold, rainy day:
http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative/2012/08/progressive-insurance-is-o wned-by-peter-lewis-who-is-he-read-this-2462546.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

I was fighting a bad back last summer followed by a frozen shoulder in the fall. Both times after getting some physical therapy, the insurance company called, wanting to find out if a car accident or work accident had been involved....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

No, not Progressive, State Farm.

So far they have not raised my premium in retribution for my feedback. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

My wife is British, she worked withe the National Health Service for a number of years...One time when we were visiting her parents in Wales our daughter got sick. Called up the NHS and a Doctor came out for a house call, wrote a prescription, we went to the Chemist, got it filled and never saw a bill...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

This was not an auto accident. It should be filed with Medicare and Medicare will pay. You might tell ask the hospital to bill you and that you will file it with Medicare.

I bet you are dealing with a for profit hospital and they are after all the money they can get. It seems strange that they would turn it over their attorney as their first course of contact.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration