Horsepower

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Horsepower
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

I know....fairly good topic this week on a whole host of fronts :-).

I'm curious and don't recall ever seeing...

Does anyone know where the original for this actually came from? I know why the early Ford HP numbers differ depending on source, but now would like to know how these were arrived at to try and put it all together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, March 27, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

From Hap Tucker (2008), "Data from Ford in Jan 1922."
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/68637.html?1223849101

Hap may know the exact publication.

Did a Google image search and it is mostly posted on this forum.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 06:50 am:

Jim,

Thanks you for the link that made it much easier to find.

George,

I don’t know where the chart above was first published. It is published in Clymer’s book “Henry’s Wonderful Model T Ford” page 127. The lower right hand corner states who drew it and that it was based on Jan 1922 Ford data.

In the Jul 15, 1919 “Ford Service Bulletins” the following information appeared:

I only checked a few of the numbers from the chart to the graph but they matched. If someone with a little more patience could check some other numbers I only did the 200, 400, 1000, and 1400 and they looked the same to me. If you find out it is the same or it is not the same --- please let us all know.

I would speculate, but I don’t know, that L.R. Henry the person listed as drawing the graph, might be Leslie R. Henry. Leslie R. Henry really liked old cars, wrote lots of articles, books such as “The red cover “Model T Ford Restoration Handbook” and was the curator of transportation at the “Henry Ford Museum. The comment “From Ford Motor Co. Data, Jan 1922 -- I would guess they either repeated the test (not likely) or the Jul 15, 1919 Service Bulletin Data was put in some document that was labeled Jan 1922 and L. R. Henry used that to draw the chart. Regardless, I suspect the Jul 15, 1919 Service Bulletin table provided the data for the chart and was published by Ford. [Of course Ford sometimes published things that were close but not necessarily 100% correct. For example the photo of the Model T in the Oct 15, 1908 “Ford Times” that represented a photo of Model T number 1. It actually was not Model T number 1 but probably a prototype (for details see Trent Boggess’ excellent article “Model T Number One” in the Nov-Dec 2004 “The Vintage Ford” also available in Bruce’s “Model T Comprehensive Encyclopedia” CDs available from: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333725.html?1357665853 )]

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 07:16 am:

Thanks,

Based on words used in the service bulletin, it would seem to me that something was measured...as opposed to theoretically calculated.

Maybe they even used a K.R.W. Dyno?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration