OT - brand new USA made Model A engine blocks available in the next 12 months

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - brand new USA made Model A engine blocks available in the next 12 months
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:03 am:

Over at the Fordbarn there's excitement about the upcoming new Model A engine blocks being developed in OH. They are likely to be sold by Snyder's. Price? No word yet, but I'm guessing around $2500. Model A blocks are not rare but it seems these blocks are likely to incorporate many improvements inorder to attract customers seeking big HP. Will look identical from the outside though. It may also be available in aluminum.

The guy who's in charge of the project seems to be on top of things so hopefully there will be not a repeat of the T-100 block problems (they needed to be sleeved I believe).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:11 am:

see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYwpHBElMs&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 02:41 am:

I hope they cast a B block as the B crank has larger mains and will not go into an A block without first turning the B crank down to A size.
It must be done because the main bearing bolts are too close together.
That is being done a lot to use the late counter balanced B crank in the A engine.
The late B engine with counter weights is often referred to as a C engine.
The B engine has an improved oil delivery system.

I am just finishing up a rebuild on a Russian made B engine of about 1935. It has been in an A roadster for more than 30 years. It came from a ware house in Poland. Unused.
The Russians built model A cars and trucks with the B engine and also other cars and a Jeep type vehicle with the Ford B engine well into the forties and maybe later.
Their version of the Jeep even had the model A gas tank forming the top of the cowl like a model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 07:10 am:

Aaron,

Yes, I know the Russian Ford engines you're referring to well. They were made by the Gorky Automobile Factory (GAZ) from the mid 1930s until about 1954. And yes, they were last used in the GAZ 67 jeep (looks similar to a WW2 Willys).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 07:15 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:24 am:

This is very interesting. I know of no particular shortage of T blocks either (possibly open valve blocks?,)but if they can do one they surely can do the other. Looks like a straight original/no mod casting. Of course, what I'm thinking about is my idea of the ultimate T engine with replaceable bearing inserts and pressure oiling with nothing showing. It's the one thing that really bothers me about the T engine. My inability to replace bearings on my garage floor without a forge set-up in a shed out back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:58 am:

I don't like the thought of reproduction blocks or other major components. Thing like this always lead to problems down the road such as fraud with people passing off new stuff as original and other shenanigans. Eventually the public will learn to think that every T they see is a cheap, low class kit car and all the prestige of owning a true classic goes down the drain. Ask any Shelby Cobra owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Scott Owens on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

Hey Constantine can you provide any more info on the speedster sitting in the jeep? Looks like a top of the line model to me. Can I order one direct or do I need to go thru you? Thanks for any help you can offer, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:02 pm:

If I could afford a real Cobra I'd probably have an exact repro to drive around in using the 5 figure car & keeping the 6 figure (& better) real one pristine. Cobra repro's don't affect the price of real ones at all. As to "new" T blocks: For arguments sake you have a non engine/title numbers matching car. You need to re-build the eng and have sleeves installed because it's too far over size. Would you go for a brand new block if it was an option? Bugger show judges and would you tell them any way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

I am with Robert. Constantine, I dont know where you find all these nice ladys to sit still long enough to get their pictures took but yea, send 1 down this way!
Cooking, cleaning app's built in would be nice to!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 06:30 pm:

Thanks for posting the interesting picture Constantine.
I read somewhere that the Pobeta (SP) poo-bay-ta used that engine too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 06:33 pm:

I agree with Dave, but it would be alright if I could have one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 07:00 pm:

Now I understand why he drove half way around the world. That jeep has nice accessories

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

For what it is worth there are NEW 5 main T blocks available that accept insert bearings and full pressure oiling. Only in cast iron though. The aluminum ones didn't work out well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

No Charlie, I would never put any repro block in a T. As for the Cobra comparison, I didn't say it affected value. I'm sure some people drive those cars and everyone thinks it's a kit which takes away a lot of the fun. On rare occasion, I have been asked if my T is a kit by people who know nothing about the Model T. I'm glad to answer that there is no such thing.....so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

A few years ago I attended the kit car nationals at Carlisle, PA with a friend (he was thinking about getting a Cobra kit at the time, but he never did).

All the major kit vendors were there with many display cars, but none of them had the Shelby emblems on them. One of the vendors explained that Carroll Shelby had successfully sued a vendor that had offered car kits with the emblems included.

Of course, you could buy reproduction emblems from other vendors and install them yourself.....

Where I used to live in Connecticut there was a huge cruise every Monday night if the weather was good. One Monday a gentleman showed up with a real, aluminum bodied, 289 Cobra. I happened to stop by while he was talking with several other real Cobra enthusiasts. Between them, they knew the serial numbers and locations of all the real Cobras in the Northeast. I got the impression that they were not bothered by the prevalence of kit cars, they knew how to tell the difference and regarded themselves as a cut above all that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 05:43 am:

Years ago there were new model t early open valve water-pump blocks made. This was about 25-30 years ago. If I remember right they were un-machined raw castings. They were advertised in the classifieds of either the Vintage Ford or the Model T Times.
I might have see one of the blocks at Chickasha about 5-6 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 08:20 am:

Mark, your post is interesting, but does hit a raw nerve with me. Most car guys are great. Most love anything automotive, and will stop and stare at an old Model T as well as a Duesenberg. Guys like Jay Leno (I believe) are true car guys. Then there are guys who are jerks! Because they can afford to pay for fancy high end restorations, or just buy expensive cars at auctions, they look down their noses at those of us who just manage to keep having as much fun as we can with "tired old iron." I have a kit car I built over 20 years ago and we have fun with it. No, it's not a million dollar Cobra, or even a "real" one, obviously. My wife and I could barely afford the amount I put into building it! If a bunch of guys were to stand around my car and regard themselves as a "cut above me," because my car isn't an original, I'd consider them rude, crude and totally obnoxious bores! Those guys aren't true car guys....... in my humble opinion. They are simply wealthy banker type snobs who look down on the rest of us! (And I very much doubt any of them could even build an automobile (kit or not) let alone keep a Model T running!) My 2 cents worth........ Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Joe

Well said.

Unless you get your hands dirty and inside an engine, you are not a car guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 09:34 am:

Dave, your comment reminds me of a story. When I was first getting into cars and started taking my 1970 Dodge Charger to the local cruise night in Lake Worth, Florida, the more senior cruisers demanded to see my hands and fingernails, I guess because I looked too clean to be a real car guy. Luckily, my hands and nails passed inspection and I was welcome after that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 06:16 pm:

The information shared here never ceases to amaze me... For instance, today I learned that I'm not really a "car guy" because I don't build engines.

Elitism isn't exclusive only to those with lots of money invested into fancy cars. I've seen and heard a lot of people look down their noses at anyone who has to pay someone to get some work done on their cars.

Not everybody has the time, space, tools, or skills necessary for a major mechanical project...

I grew up in a body shop, and know how to do a lot of restoration work, but getting deep into the mechanicals is a weakness of mine. Kids, wife, and career keep me too busy to learn how to do it all. If I want to drive it anytime soon, I'm going to have to pay someone to rebuild the engine in my '25 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 06:27 pm:

Derek, If you own and enjoy a car, them in my book you are a car guy! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

Derek - Agreed. I know that I'm a "car guy" in my own opinion, even though I've never been "inside" engines on any of my cars, if that means tearing them apart, rebuilding, etc. I've rebuilt my 1919 Speedster that was literally in pieces (with the exception of the engine, which had been rebuilt in 1980 and wrapped in a blanket since then) that were stored in a barn for 35 years. If you know you're a "car guy" who cares what everyone else thinks? Let your work speak for itself. No one can tell me I'm not a car guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:25 am:

Les, I didn't know new 5 main T blocks are available. Can you provide some details or a website link? What crank is used?

I could be wrong, but were there not new Model T blocks made by someone other than Ford back in the day?

Also, when did Ford stop making new replacement Model T blocks anyway?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 02:02 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 04:03 am:

Constantine, it's Les himself who has produced some five main blocks. Here's a post from when they were cast, before machining: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/15774.html?1199585425

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 07:39 am:

Ah; okay, thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration