Year of this Model T.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Year of this Model T.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Hoff on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Can anyone tell me what year they think this Model T is? I was told it is a 1923. The wall in between the engine and your knees is made of wood, and the door panels and inside of the cab has some wood in it for support. Also, what is the correct name for this type. From what I have seen on the internet, is it a Model T Roadster Pickup? Thanks in advance for any input.
Model T pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

15 touring cut off to make pickup

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

It is a Model T Roadster Puck-Up. However, it appears to be a mix or years. The radiator and hood look like 1915-16. The front fenders and cowl look like 1917-23. Also, just because it has a pick-up box does not necessarily mean it started out as a pick-up. It could easily be a roadster that someone converted.

Take a look on the drivers side of the engine. In the middle near the top is the water inlet. Just above that the engine serial number should be stamped into the block. Post that here and we can tell you what year the engine is, which may or may not be the same as the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

Todd-

It is a "bitsa." Bits of this, bits of that...

The engine might be 1923. What's the serial number?

The body looks to be a cut-off touring 1915-1922
Windshield is 1918-1922.
Wheels are post 1919.
fenders are 1917-1925.
Pick up box is 1925.
Radiator is 1916 or earlier.
Headlights are 1916-1925.

We'd need lots more pictures.
Good for parts, or play with it as it is.
Not a candidate for restoration.

I imagine that is not the information you were hoping for.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

It looks like it is a vehicle made up of Model T from various years... The firewall is from a 1915. The pickup bed is after 1925 to 1927. The wheels are from 1919 or later. The body looks like it might be a late teens touring body with the back cut off.
With the starter cables hanging out of the back it would appear to have an electric starter which makes the motor post 1919. As I said, it is made up of bits. Have fun with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

I would'nt worry about pickin it apart, My fathers
stories of the depresson days, they did what they
had to do. It is what it is; if it could speak..
you are lucky to atleast have one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Hoff on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

Thank you all for your responses. This is my first Model T and my first time on a forum like this, so again, thank you all for your help. I know it is not the prettiest thing out there, but it runs good and we have fun in it. I will check out the engine serial # and get back to y'all. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

Todd,

Model T's are like girls, they're ALL pretty!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

Somebody tell about the rear end before he gets hurt. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

As much as I don't normally like modified cars, that one has a good old fashioned, natural look about it. It is complete and useful as a pickup too. I would leave it just the way it is and enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

Here's the information Dan suggested, along with another page for every new Model T owner.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Todd -- We Model T'ers don't turn our noses up at "put-together" T's, unlike Model A folks or Packard folks or any of those other snooty car groups. The guys here were just telling you what you have there, which is what you asked. The typical Model T went through a lot of changes during its lifetime, from new car to used car to the car out behind the barn which doesn't run anymore, to the WW-II scrap drive.

LOTS of them were converted to pickups later in their lives to get more use from them, and LOTS of them have parts from later years. Henry made the T's to have interchangeable parts over many years, so if you crunched a fender and went to the dealer for a replacement, you might get a later fender which would fit, but look different. Same with many other parts.

The thing is, most of our cars have later parts to some extent, some more than others. But you won't get kicked off a tour if you bring that car, and it's no less fun driving one like yours that it is a "correct" one.

As some have mentioned above, it would be a chore to restore your car to be correct for any particular year, since it has many years' parts on it. But if it turns out that it is a car which had parts replaced one at a time, rather than being a put-together car, you could consider that part of its history and respect its "experience."

As Henry P. said, "Model T's are like girls, they're ALL pretty!! :-)"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration