Floating Hub Fit in Axle Housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Floating Hub Fit in Axle Housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Lane on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

Car had floating hubs on it when I purchased it. Upon removing rear wheels, found it very difficult to pull hub out of axle housing on left side. Now, of course, hub does NOT want to go back into housing. Couple of question -- what should clearance be between hub and axle housing (fairly loose fit?). Am I faced with turning hub to remove .002 or so? Second, would axle housings need to be replaced to go back to original sleeve/hyatt bearing setup? I realize axle housing had about 1" trimmed off to install floating hubs, so sleeve would extend outside of housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

You would want a fairly close fit but still be able to slide it in & out when need be. First try spinning it in a lathe and just filing the diameter some to polish down any high spots.

Yes, you would need replacement housings to go back to Hyatts & sleeves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

Skip, are you sure the axle housing tube is not bent?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

Some types have set screws that fit in grooves. If you pulled it out without removing them you have upset some surfaces.

mountain wagon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration