Building a steering column for 1912

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Building a steering column for 1912
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

I finally have the correct column ready to install in my 1912 chocolate van. It is assembled with parts from various sources and posed some special problems.

The two piece gear case type columns seem to be individually assembled. When trying to mate the brass quadrant to the tube and the gearcase inside the tube, none of the rivet holes lined up, as each component had come from a different source. I solved the problem in the following way.

I tapped a coarse thread in the rivet holes in the gearcase and screwed and loctited brass metal threads in to fill the holes. These were then filed flush so the gearcase appeared never to have been drilled.

The two bottom holes in the brass quadrant were silver soldered shut and filed and polished so they appeared not to be drilled.

Only one of the four holes in the tube coincided with a top hole in the quadrant, so the other three were welded shut and filed down to fit.

When re-assembled I had a virtual new slate to work with. A second set of eyes were co-opted to help with the drilling of the 'new' assembly. The first hole came out the bottom almost exactly where the original silver soldered hole in the quadrant was. The second one was less true, but had it followed the original path, it would have been even further off. Custom turned rivets completed the job.

All I have to do now is fit the adjustable drag link I purchased at Chickasha in 2010 and it will be a true 1912, until I learn something else is not correct.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 05:55 am:

1912 chocolate van? Tell us more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:13 am:

Dark or Milk Chocolate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:14 am:

Pictures Please!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration