Ruckstell gear question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ruckstell gear question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Landes on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

Will Ruckstell ring and pinion gears work in a T rear-end?
Thanks!!
Richard Landes
Clinton,NC
rlandes@embarqmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Yes, as long as they are the gear ratio needed they will work. Both the Ruckstell and standard rear end take the same size gears.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Landes on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

Thanks,I haven't tried it on the rear-end but was concerned as the back side is different than a stock ring gear.It is a 39 tooth ring gear and I have a 12 and 13 tooth pinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

A Ruckstell ring gear has a relief cut on the back side to accommodate the larger diameter pinion gear. If you want to use Ruckstell gears in a standard Ford rear end you will have to make a spacer to raise the ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester W. Lowery TN on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Well, I was all excited when I got home from Huntsville today and saw my Lang's shipment box on the front porch until I opened it up and counted my new ring and pinion gear teeth to find out it was a 40x11. I know it will be corrected, but I tried so hard to make sure it would be right the first time... I spoke for over an hour on the phone to make sure I was getting my order right which was suppose to be a 39x12 to get my 3.25-1 ratio.... I was all excited to start assembling my Ruckstell Monday but I guess it will be another week sending this order back and trying again to get the right one.... I always have had great service with Lang's and know I will in the future, but I asked three times until the lady on the other end of the line was getting a little ill with me just to make sure, with no doubt, I was getting a 39x12 and I was assured I would.... I already have a 40 ring gear.... Just a little disappointed.....I'm ready to drive with the Ruckstell which I have never had one or even driven with one to see the difference....

Oh well, they will get it right and I will get it together someday, just need to be a little more patient...Everyone makes mistakes....Nothing against Langs, they are great people and I have already placed another order over the net just yesterday...

Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 11:22 pm:

Glen,
Just to be clear, if you use a ring and pinion set out of a Ruckstell then that set will fit in a standard rear end with no shimming needed.

If use the Ruckstell ring and you change the set by reducing the tooth count on the pinon, then some shimming will be required.

Is that correct?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Ok,
Now I'm confused.
Can I use a brand new 3-1 ring and pinion in a Ruckstell without any changes/shims etc? Building one for a speedster and have the new gears ready to go.

I know you have to leave the halves split to install the drive shaft ....correct?

Thanks,
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

All this seems so confusing. If you use new 3-1 ratio gears, they will work in either a Ruckstell or a Ford rear end. No problem, you just need to have the housings split to insert the larger pinion.
Richard, do you have gears that are stamped Ruckstell or are you referring to the 39 tooth ring gear and 13 tooth pinion also known as the 3-1 ratio gears sold new by the vendors? The new 39 tooth ring gear is recessed.
The true Ruckstell made gears fit in the same manner as the 3-1 ratio gears. The ring gear is recessed and the pinion is larger. If you use them as a set, no spacer is needed and they can be used in either a Ford or Ruckstell rear end.
Where the spacer referred to in Glen's post comes into play is if you used the 3-1 ring gear or the Ruckstell made ring gear and the standard 11 tooth pinion and perhaps the 12 tooth pinion (I am unsure on that one) then you must make a spacer to fill the recess in the ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

Jim, Larry, The 3/1 gears were made to use with a Ruckstell. The original Ruckstell gears were 13/40. The reproductions are 13/39. If you use our 12 tooth pinion your ratio becomes 3.25/1.The 12 tooth pinion also requires splitting the rear axle to install. You would only need a spacer if you were trying to use a Ford 11 tooth pinion with the Ruckstell ring gear. It makes no sense to use Ruckstell gears in a stock rear end or use a ford pinion with a Ruckstell gear..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 12:25 am:

Glenn, is there an advantage to using original 13/40 ruckstell gears, over some other choice? In my case, it is for a 7 passenger hack, northern ohio...... Maybe a moderate hill once in awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 01:07 am:

Tim,
In your 7 passenger hack I would recommend the standard Model T 3.63-1 gear ratio. With the total size and weight of the vehicle there would likely never be a time when you would want a higher geared rear end.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:57 am:

Agree with Jim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

Thanks guys !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

How much of a recess does the ring gear that fits the 12 tooth pinion have compared to the standard 40 tooth for the 11 tooth standard gearing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

Noel, The relief cut is approximately 0.225 inch.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration