What have you done on your T today?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What have you done on your T today?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 12:25 am:

Well with the swap meet last week no new posts to this could I find.
1.5 projects done today, the first was to clean up the two trans drums I got at Chickasha. After cleaning up both the drum on the right has also been deburred and blasted.

The other was to finish some tools to help me in the shop. First was a board to protect the base of my drill press. Next photo is my lathe, and on the tail end you can see the wood caddie my Dad made to have some tooling handy. It's falling apart and so I made a new one, better and larger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:30 am:

nice shop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 12:52 am:

Thanks Andrew, but I'm still cleaning up. Too many boxes yet to go thru from cleaning out my Dad's stuff after he died. I can now walk around without clipping my knee on something hard. The goal now is to have enough room to pull a vehicle in at the end of next week. Got a project done that was started 11 years ago when I bought at auction a steel work bench that had a vice on it. Installed new jaws on it, the only thing I had to do was pull the pins out of the new jaws, as the old pins stayed in the vice. All cleaned up, blasted, new paint and greased up nicely. Project so old no before pictures. I paid $20 bucks at the auction for the table and vice. I picked up a second workbench for the same before the prices went up. I may be a couple of months before I get the bench painted but will have the casters on and the vice by the end of the week. Got lucky and found on the shelf the new jaws. They cost me about 5 times what i paid for the bench in them, but you could not buy a vice like this new for less than 350 now days.

Also put together my KRW Model A puring fixture, it just made me want to get the T KRW stuff ready to use but that will have to wait a few months.

Also made my centering fixture for my new front plate, I'll have more on it on that thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:13 am:

Replaced the right side rear spring shackles on the '20 Runabout, was such a nice afternoon said "heck with it" the other side can wait, so took the '12 Roadster Pickup out for a leisurely drive. First one of the season for it! It was great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:31 am:

Had a semi marathon T work day. I don't know what got into me, maybe the judging at "Canyonlands 4" got me thinking about this. I have been on a quest to bring my car back to stock configuration as much as possible. To that end I have been refurbishing a stock fuel strainer, replaced the Metz intake with a nice stock one, fabricated a horn bracket so the horn (aftermarket EA Labs) could at least be mounted in stock location. Rebuilt the horn, refurbished a nice spider and rim, replaced the aftermarket wood rim cast spider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:54 am:

No work on the T but I did paint my A yesterday. Any color you want as long as it is black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:48 pm:

I started up my boss's 23 roadster and took it for a ride, on friday I can get back to working on his model t wrecker with the manley wrecker boom. I started to put parts for my 26 roadster in primer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 07:02 pm:

Made a mess of my first attempt at replacing the spindle arm bushing. Good thing I can order from Langs online after hours. New set will be here later this week. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

Made a new carb adjust rod. Won't go into the bo-bo I did, but a 10 minute job lasted about 45.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

C'mon Erich...fess up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

I had a bad miss in the truck that I just couldn't figure out so, I decided to pull the crank through and see what kind of spark I got. Number 2 would only make a slight blip when it was it's turn so, I changed out the coil with a good used one and the problem was solved. I checked the offending coil on an STS checker and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I did find out why that little red cap is on the contact for the plug checker, WOW!!!!! Bet I won't do that again. It got me twice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:03 pm:

Polished brass and loaded the 15 to leave tomorrow for the Charlotte Auto Fair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:58 am:

Finished replacing the rear shackles yesterday (Tuesday) as was a bit too windy to comfortably drive around the countryside. Gusting 42, even at 64 degrees it felt chilly, so adding another 25 mph or so would've really made it cool-ish feeling. Gald I got the shackles done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve osborne on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:55 am:

my son painted the frame. I took the old tires off the split rims, and removed spokes from the wheels, cleaned up the threads on the front engine mount and painted it. Spokes from the front wheels were a waste, nailed in and a couple of broken ones shims between spokes, and shims between spokes and hub. I'm going to have to replace all 24 of them.

oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

I finished installing the new engine in my 27' Touring. Took it for a short road trip and love the end result!

Had to adjust the pedals of course but that was the only hiccup. Now to get it cleaned up for this weekend's parade.

Ya gotta get lucky SOMEtime!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 01:19 pm:

Bob, my carb adjust/choke rod was just the slightest bit shorter than I liked. It was one of those things that was bothering me but not causing any problem. I just wanted it to be about 3/8 inch longer than it was. I had time, so I took it out and had a bit of trouble driving out the pin that held on the lovely adjustment knob. I took some 1/4 inch stock and carefully measured and made a new rod, drilled a new mounting hole and put in a nice hard role pin, ground it flush, looked real nice. Had a fiddley time getting it installed, dropped the little washer several times, back was sore from leaning over. Got all done and went back to the work bench to tidy up. I thought it was funny how the old rod sitting there had some marker on it. And it looked like machine marks I had just made. Then I realized the rod on the bench was the new one I had fabricated 2 minutes ago. It blew me away what a bone headed thing I had done. Somehow I had performed a perfect slight of hand trick on myself and installed the knob onto the old rod (that I had just removed it from) instead of the new one, and put it into the car. Now I had a devil of a time getting that hard role pin out. Broke a couple drill bits.
Ended up with a bigger hole, yadda, yadda, got the new one in at last. Then my back was extra sore. I just have to watch myself every minute I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Yeeaaaa John. Nothing says happy like the sound of a new T motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 01:43 pm:

Last Friday, the old Delco distributor housing broke the first time the Speedster's been on a street since 1979. Fortunately, I was only about 30 yards from my driveway, so my neighbor towed me back across the lawn with his garden tractor. I got the old distributor off, and a new one's on the way. Also had to get and install a spark rod and all the hardware, as the old dizzy didn't need one (auto advance), so I had to remove the steering column to get that done. Now just waiting on the distributor.

On a positive note, before the housing broke, I installed and set my voltage regulator, and got my Stromberg RF carb adjusted so it will run without the choke on. Looking forward to another test drive this weekend. Hopefully nothing else major will break!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

Going on a tour this coming weekend:
Went thru the Safety Inspection list.
Oiled the right places.
Topped off the earl.
Gassed 'er up.
Cleaned the windshield.
Checked the coolant level.
Good 2 go :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 06:45 pm:

Working on my speedster project. Went to install a reverse eye main spring to lower the chassis and found that the profile of the new leaf was not even close to the originals. Spent most of the day with the press getting the spring to fit. I don't understand why the repro stuff never seems to fit. It seem to me that it would be just as easy to do it right but apparently the people making this stuff don't see it that way. What should have taken under an hour took all day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 07:04 pm:

WENT FOR A RIDE ON THE '20!!! A bit chilly, but since no wind like yesterday, was actually nicer.
Ahhh, felt sooo good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve osborne on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 11:34 pm:

shopped for spokes, demountable rim bolts, spring pads, front and rear spring clips, and hub bolts.
Learned how to build a wheel press, and where to borrow one locally (yeah). Learning tons, and loving it.

oz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Got my new distributor installed and tested. Started on the 4th pull of the crank. Ran for about 15 minutes and I shut if off. Restarted 90 minutes later on the first pull!

Here's a link to a short youtube video.

http://youtu.be/rErzJ5dXhFE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:56 am:

Neat! I really like the staggered seating arrangement on your speedster, very novel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

Thanks Mark. The original speedster body (that my grandfather had built in 1927) was only 30" wide, so having two people next to each other wouldn't have worked, with no hip or shoulder room, so he off-set them. The new body that I just finished keeps the same basic design, but it's four inches wider and six inches longer to give a little more room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

Converted it from a Mustang

Mustang

into a Ranchero

Ranchero

Tailgate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

Robert, I like the roll-up rear curtain on your one-man top, I wish I had ordered that when I got mine! I see Murphy fasteners on the bottoms of the rear curtain gypsy wings too, do they also fold up?

I assume you have lift-the-dot fasteners on the rear bow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

A little drift....

Bob, your "Ranchero" brings back some memories. When my wife and I were dating, for a while I was between cars. A friend had a Ranchero that he loaned me for a few weeks to bridge the gap. We lived out in the country and he had horses. There was a liberal amount of horse poop in the bed and behind the seat. At the time, she didn't say anything. Sunday it will be 40 years later. She now will explain her suffering to anyone who will listen. Of course, my response is that it was a test and she passed! :-)

I really like your Ranchero. It's much better than the one I used so many years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

I's not correct but I did mine with the roll up back window also, it sure gives you a better rear view with top up.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

Took my first successful test drive. Went to my nextdoor neighbor's driveway about 50 yards from mine, then back. Low, reverse, and brake all seem to work as they should. Didn't get into high gear yet. Plan to drive (cautiously) around my neighborhood until I build a little confidence and experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

I started sand blasting my boss's tow truck cab today hopefully I'll finish it on wednesday and I am thinking on selling my 21 inch demountable wheels, is any one interested in buying them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

I got a friends 1926 coupe running for a parade on monday. He has not had it out in Two years. Did all the checks on it and started it on the first turn of the starter. everthing worked great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

Erich Bruckner - This comment is several days late as I just got home from Chickasha and from visiting several of my sons and their respective families on my 2-week trip home from Chickasha. However, I just had to comment about your (by your own admission) "bone-headed thing" you just did!

Just wanted to say that I've done some even MORE "bone-headed" stunts than that, but I'm sure I'm like many others that have done similar things, and not man enough to admit it! Gotta' say, you made my day as it is somewhat reassuring to know that "I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE"! Ha,ha,.....harold

P.S. Ever hear about a Model "T" that backs up when depressing the "low" pedal after rebuilding a rear end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

Worked a bit on my front plate, see other post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

That is a common issue when the diffy is installed on the wrong side of the pinion gear. A very easy and common mistake.

Back in the day a guy in Seattle restored a 1914 Touring, Fired it up for the first time, and jumped in for a quick ride. He pushed in the reverse and the car leaped forward and drove through the end wall of his garage and down into his neighbors back yard.

It took several club members from the original Seattle model T club , my father and I included to disassemble and drag his T out of the neighbors back yard.

Conversely, when this is done when you push reverse it goes forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

Changed my plugs because I found a set of Champion X plugs at a swap meet today, brand new in the boxes, only $50.00 Canadian for the whole set! I also rotated my tires so I can hopefully get one more year out them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Getting my barn fresh 1912 touring ready for its 1st official outing over the 4th of July in Walla Walla.

Had a devil of time getting the oilers to open without marring the tarnished brass. Now have oiled the May West shackles front and rear. Also disassembled the king pins for a cleaning and lubrication.

Found that the original speedometer drive gear was damaged at some point and is out of round causing the driven gear to bottom out at 1 point. Was able to heat it and true it using a torch and press. It now tracks perfectly round and the driven gear is happy once again.

Have a few minor issues to finish and then the car will be ready for the tour season. One such issue is the left front wheel, not only out of round but also is not true to the hub and has run out side to side as well. Hope to secure a suitable replacement at Bakersfield. Also needed an original unpolished triple twist horn to install.

I am enjoying this car more and more each day of ownership. It now starts almost automaticly by turning the switch on and moving the spark lever down and up.

Before you ask, photos will be forthcoming, as soon as all work is completed. After going over every inch of this car it does appear that the speedometer reading 2332 miles is very accurate. There is no wear of any surface that I can find. This car has all of the special 1912 pieces, carburetor, speedometer drive, hubcaps, and grease cups. So glad I did purchase this car.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:37 am:

Just put the fenders for the first time on the Model T.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:19 am:

The Wife said I could make a Pick-up after a frustrating attempt at getting the dog leash out of the turtle with the top down, however there is a caveat if she doesn't like it I have to put it back! Here is my start to the pick-up bed I like the way my dark wash came out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:23 am:

I'm not sure whether this belongs under What have you done... or What kept you from... My shop is getting to be a worse and worse jumble of stuff, to the point where I need to organize so I can work on the cars without losing the parts in all the mess.

So I spent the day dismantling an old built-in cabinet that stored screens when I had the sign business. In that space I'll build shelves for T parts.

Miss Kitty has been huge lately and suddenly slimmed down, so I wondered where she had the kittens. While removing the cabinet I heard mewing, and found that she had them in the old dog crate just three feet from where I was working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:49 am:

AAAWWWW...........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Oh so cute! watch out; mine put a nice scratch on
the back seat with his four paw drive knifes, little
black shoe polish did the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve osborne on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:45 am:

moved parts and pieces out of the way so I could get the truck in and change the studded tires to summer tires. That is it, sad story I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

Not sad Steve, yesterday I was tooling along and I
think I nicked a berm and my wheel took a right
"right outta my hands" into the Packy store. So buy
a little Jack, gave it couple shots in the gas tank,
octane booster not only makes my back pain go away,
but it does seem to wake it up "a little"..or I
thought so. Spring fun, whoo who, it actually got
up to 40 degrees, the season of Mudd now......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

Worked a this weekend on assembling my 16's transmission. Had one bad drum from the trans that was in the car and luckily G'pa had acquired another and but a new bushing in for me :-).

Made a list of parts to look for at the Bakersfield swap meet. This time I'm bringing a small wagon to haul parts in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

Samuel
Your helper and mine might be related, mine has been helping for the past 11 years. She's even standing here and checking what I'm saying about her now.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Built a new workbench with partitioned drawers for those small parts that end up in coffee cans. This was made out of recycled materials. The bottom two drawers were in a dumpster down the street. The rest of the wood was either from the same dumpster or left overs from other projects. The drawer pulls and name plate frames were scrap shaft and sheet. The wood was stained with thinned flat black paint. Then I rubbed old Pennzoil 10-30 from the T in with a scotch-brite pad.

I got tired of the plastic bins and cans and wanted something that looked like it might be from the 20's.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

Finally had the 09 and 13 out yesterday. Took one daughter to town, and it was good to be out. It's always great to have a kid and car out together.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 01:27 am:

Took the Special for a drive. Dropped the high compression head to get repaired after finding casting flaws which caused blown head gaskets. Stuck a high head on so I could drive it.

Also added a seat belt so Carston, my son could ride with me without sliding out of the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 04:37 am:

Looks like Carston is enjoying the ride :-) Was it a Z head that caused blown gaskets? There has been earlier threads about poor fit to the head gasket in Z heads: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/295708.html?1340402616

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 07:12 am:

Richard love the new workbench... all it needs now is a vise and a coffee pot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 07:23 am:

Today, as usual, I went in the shed and looked at it. Snow still deep outside the doors and in the yard. Tires are all up and a little antifreeze leak on the plank floor. It will be a month or more before the snow is gone and the yard is hard enough to drive on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:49 am:

Bill I feel for ya! While our snow is gone, it's been a bit too cold to get the T's out and a good drive the last few days. Did however get the dog out for a drive Sunday in the Model A. She loved it! (well, so did I ). Yesterday I took the snowplow off the sub-compact tractor to get ready for mowing season. Now they're talking measurable snow again next Tuesday. Heck with it. Let it melt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 08:52 am:

I installed the newly rebuilt front axle last night! Just need to install the hubs, repack and install wheel bearings, install wheels, tighten up the bendix cover, change oil, and I'm on the road legally for the first time. Should be done tomorrow with an eye for a quick trip on Thursday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 10:56 am:

Roger: not a Z-head .... This one is a Reeder head. I bought it about 10 or 12 years ago. Not sure why I bought it over a Z-head. Carston spent the whole day yesterday with me
riding there having a ball!

On my vacation this week and using the Special as my daily driver to break it in and shake it down before the Shakedown tour with the club the end of April.

Sunday afternoon get together with Clayton Paddison's Roadster " Josephine"and Tim William's speedster "T-bone".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

Yesterday:
Put the water pump back on the block
Connected the carb back to the intake
Install the intake and exhaust back on the block

Today:
Installed the cooper gas tube from shut off to carb
Installed head cover (leaving bolts loose)

Tomorrow:
Install coil box to block
Install horn to block
See if I can remember how all the wiring gets reconnect to the coil box and horn

Friday:
Water intake to block
Install radiator shield (waiting on to see if museum orders new radiator)
Put hood back on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

I took the New Day Timer off my new Roadster for the first time and found about a 1/4" of oily thick gunk in the bottom. Cleaned everything up and it runs much better. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

My clutch has been slipping so I adjusted it and the bands and took Nellybell for a short drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

Rob,
Good to see that you still own a T and not just the K and nice to see that you got it out to stretch the tires
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Took mine for another drive to get gas for lawn mower (I have Ice Cream at home :-) ), did I say we are have nice sunny weather! Coming back I stopped to talk with one of the guys down the street that had just gotten a 26 coupe (just over a year ago). I had not seen it yet. He was at his brothers place (brother has a couple of 35's) so I followed him back to his place. Nice T coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

took two bad Kingston L-4's and made one good one
carbs
The one on the left kept flooding it was given to me so when I disassembled it I saw the broken boss for the float mount the other one was full of dirt and had a very bad repair on the float and a broken choke return spring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

Got my spare tire and carrier mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:06 am:

Rebuilt the coil box, got all four coils buzzing. Made sure the L4 carb had all the bits it needs to work. Started trying to free up the E brake handle
Should be trying to start the engine soon.
cheers!
chriso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:40 am:

Been installing the top kit. She's almost done. Well, done enough to drive. I'll be posting pictures after she's finished. Hopefully no later than Monday morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Installed a magneto powered battery charger on my 1916 touring car. Have a starter on the 1916 engine and needed a way to keep the battery charged. It was a beautiful day to work on a T.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

OK - this wasn't just today, but over the last couple of weeks as times permits.
This weekend I have my T participate in events both Saturday and Sunday and I just HAD to get those loose wheels fixed.
I negotiated with my local parts "pusher" as I could see the various vendors had different prices, and when you buy 48, 2$ extra a piece do make a difference for my economy.
Then he asks me if I would be interested in 4 renovated wheels with new spokes, blasted, primed and painted rim and Hub? We agreed on a fair price and here is my bargain:

Last august I had also bought new tires (From UK):

So the scene was set to get new "legs and shoes" under the ol'lady.
The rear wheels where pretty straight forward, except the one wheel was stuck on the cone, so I loosened the nut slightly, secured it with a pin and drove down a bumpy dirt road at good speed. That did the trick :-)

The front wheel was another challenge, as the renewed wheels had no bearing races (removed for blasting) so I used my newly bought pullers to take them out of the old wheels and move them over:

And now on the car:

Oh yeah - the tires where also exchanged with the new ones:

Last tuesday it had its debut on the local tire kicking event every tuesday at the nearby harbour:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Had my barn fresh 1912 touring out yesterday for a warm weather ride. Did about 30 miles and did not miss a beat. Stopped at an intersection and made a turn then the motor died. Of course a very narrow road no shoulder out in the country.

Tried to restart no fire. Fiddled with the battery, the coil box switch no fire. Hitched a ride to my shop and got my slide bed tow truck and picked up the T.

Got it back to the barn and checked things over. What I did not see on the road was the finger joints in the Heintz coil box had let loose and actually opened up the coil box enough for the coils to lose contact with the coil box, so no buzz no fire no run. A simple repair to the coil box and all's well runs perfectly. did another 10 miles today flawlessly.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

Decided to pull off the hogs head to cure those pesky felt gasket leaks. It was also a great opportunity to be able to get a greater view of my drums and inspect for any damage of those and the gears. Will also replace the linings while i have it apart. All went pretty well except for trying to unscrew the exhaust packing nut, it would not even budge with a breaker bar attached, so i decided to leave it attached to the manifold and snake the whole assembly out through the back of the car, muffler and all. Very tight fit, but it worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

Tried to figure out why I couldn't get less than .012" runout out of the input transmission shaft when it's bolted to the drive shaft flange. I got it down to less than .004". Then I checked the gap between the magnet plates on the flywheel and the magneto coil. I finally got a bunch of wobble out of that. All that's left now is put the transmission back together and decrease the gap a touch and ill be done with the magneto/transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:33 am:

Yesterday I changed the oil in 2 of the T's. Installed new plugs purchased from T-bay on the wife's car.

Today we are driving them to our monthly Model T meeting for breakfast and the meeting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:41 am:

While I've done nothing on a T besides look around a bit for another one I did get rid of a "Modern" (1975) Ford which frees up some garage space. An unexpected sale to an out of state collector car dealership suddenly put me back in the market. So we'll see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Took the front spring apart from a chassis that has been sitting outside for years, this is a 23/25 , the spring had ten 10 leaves, i know that is not standard but it makes me wonder what they were hauling, the bottom spring is broken.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

Today was a model T day
I oiled and greased everything I could find, adjusted the bands, changed the oil, filled the gas tank. and added a set of brake lights to get ready for my first tour with other model Ts

It will be about 30 miles from Hampton Beach NH to York Me and then another 30 to return. I don't have a trailer so I have to drive about 15 miles to get to the starting point which is about 5 miles further than I have ever taken the T before.
It should be interesting.

My wife is supportive but thinks I am crazy so a friend will go with me. My plan is to turn toward home before we exit NH But it will depend upon how things are going.

My biggest concern is that I tend to drive at 20-25 Mph not 35 -40 that some groups do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:44 pm:

Since tomorrow (Sunday) is supposed the nicest Sunday we've had this year my plan is take the '19 Touring to both churches.
Having sat all winter I took it out for a little shake down ride this afternoon. It started as if I had shut it down an hour ago....... :-)
This is the first time I did nothing special for the winter except shut off the gas and run them until they quit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

I took a 35 mile drive yesterday evening and today I found the head gasket leaking water. The front head bolts were loose so I torqued the head. After starting it up I still have a small leak. New head gasket time I think.PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:05 am:

Took the touring car out to get a few photos and then collected some parts that will go with the car when I sell it. Posted an ad in the classifieds. I need the space so it needs a new home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

Removed and cleaned the potato (interesting what I found inside). Pulled and cleaned the spark plugs. Installed e-brake shoes on the passenger side where none existed. There is a rumor that she will be registered as of tomorrow! Next up...checking the thrust washers and hopefully some windshield time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

I gaped my plugs to .025 now I am just waiting for the new Nh carb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

I'm working on a '15 depot hack that I 'restored' in '81 and drove it on the '82 combined MTFCA/MTFCI tour in Deadwood, SD. Haven't driven it since '94 so its due a re-restore. I'm having a really fun time uncovering some short-cuts, shoddy workmanship and jerryriggin' and fixing it right this time. Unfortunately, I also discovered that I didn't drain the gas tank so its acetone and gas tank sealer time.

John Noonan DON'T use a cheater pipe on that exhaust pack nut wrench when the manifold is cold. Either liberally use some penetrating oil or heat the brass nut. You could easily break the cast exhaust manifold. Just don't ask me how I know this - twice :o(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

Finished installing the brake equalizer on the speedster. Now that we have some decent weather I can get it out for a trial run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:19 pm:

I'm still messing with the magneto. I didn't put enough time in to achieve much. Tomorrow is a visit to the VA med ctr in the morning then hit it hard and get past this trans/mag job. I remember my '22 being a pain but this thing has got me pulling out my hair. My next engine rebuild will be done during nice weather in my own shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 02:12 am:

Swapped the motor and rear end in my coupe. That's getting to be too big a job for me to do in one session by myself anymore. I'm getting too old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:23 am:

Did a 75 mile trip with 5 other T's from Hampton Beach NH to Nubble Light in Maine yesterday. I was the longest trip I have done with the 1919.
It was cool so the red on the motor meter just barely made it to the circle.
It seemed that the longer I drove the better the car ran.
We checked the speed during one of the times we were tempting fate with a GPS and it read 34 MPH! WOW!!
But most of the time we were running between 20 and 25.

It was great traveling with a bunch of other Ts!

PS I was the only crank start and it easily started on the first pull each time, but no free starts. :-)

Not bad for an 85 year old vehicle that has never had the motor apart!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Doing some testing on a bronze Marvel carb. Fixed the flapper valve that was missing part of the pivot. Coated the cork float with gas tank sealer (for modern fuels). Made a new bowl cover. Right now I am using a Model T throttle shaft and butterfly till I can make a new shaft and bush the holes. It has a recessed seal area at the top of the throttle shaft I used part of a gas line connection felt to seal. Still have to do the choke, but for now my hand works. Drove it a little yesterday. Seat of my pants tells me it's got better pickup and go! Need to make a heater stove for it, the manifold was dripping with condensation. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

Did "get R' ready to run" on 2 cars today for tomorrow's annual event, the Buckley "Fly-In".

All kinds of antique cars, bikes, planes, motorcycles, you name it. Always a great event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Getting our '14 Touring ready to be in a wedding tomorrow. Washed it, greased and oiled it, polished the brass, etc. It really looks nice now! It started on the 3rd pull for the first time after the winter storage. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

Charged the magnets for my 1912 torpedo. Also charged an extra set for Dave Johnson the babbitier in beautiful downtown Wilkeson Wa, at the very base of Mt Rainier.

These were removed from their respective flywheels an it only took a short time to charge both sets. I was using the magnet charger that my father used in his electrical business back in the late 20's to rebuild magnetos. It still works like a swiss watch.

Anyone needing model t repairs, babbiting, or just service on your modelt there is no one better or quicker in the pacific northwest. I have no financial interest just lots of experience with Dave over the last 20 plus years. He has rebabbited a number of motors for me over the years all with good results and quality work.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:56 am:

Well, not much compared to the rest of y'all, but I put air in Barney's tires. Had to move her to get out the tractor because of the new roof I've put up, and am now pouring the floor. Since it's by myself, I'm doing it in sections--about as much as I can handle in day and still get up the next day!
barney barney artsy

new roof slab

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

Looking good, David. No need to break your back with a wheelbarrow full of concrete.

I tried taking her out for a shakedown cruise during my club's mystery run. Made it about a third or so into it and blew a tire. Luckily we weren't going very fast to begin with. Had just enough time for my girlfriend to take me back to the garage to jack up another car, steal a tire and rim, and go back to where I pushed her off the road before she had to go to work. I changed the tire and drove back to the garage. Then I jacked up my car and put the loaner wheel back on its original car, changed tires, and put the "new" tire on my car.

Been working with older tires, so buying new is definitely working its way to the forefront of my priorities list. If only I had enough rims for new tires and had my wheels painted.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration