Weight of different tire/ rim combos?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Weight of different tire/ rim combos?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 09:56 am:

Has anyone taken the time to get an accurate weight on the different tires and rims for the model T's?

Was thinking about this the other day, and it occurred to me that the biggest advantage of going to the 30" aftermarket spoked rims is probably the weight savings. (you can usually multiply unsprung weight by 3 when loosing weight to free up HP)

So my guess would be the fine spoked 30" (Buffalo?) rims would be the lightest and I'm thinking that even the 21" demountable steelies are still lighter than the wood spokes, but not sure.

Interesting if any of you have figured this, because I could see it making a pretty significant difference in drivability IF, for eg. one of those combos was say 10lbs lighter or more.

Knowing who makes the lightest tires would be good info as well..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 10:06 am:

A Buffalo 30 by 3 1/2 weighs four pounds more than a 26-27 wire wheel.

Buffalo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Comparative wheel weights. Front wheel Un-sprung weight less tire. (wheel + front hub + rim as required)

Ford 30" x 3 1/2" front wood spoke demountable
27 lbs

Ford welded spoke 21" wheel
23.5 lbs

Disteel metal wheel, Ford style 30" x 3 1/2"
30 lbs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 11:03 am:

For just wheel only w/o front hub,

Ford welded spoke 21"

16.5 lbs

Disteel 30" x 3 1/2"

21 lbs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:34 am:

Well, I had all but decided on the 21" welded spoke for the 27 coupe and I think this clinches it.

Looking at the 30" wire wheels in pic's makes them look "lighter" construction, but I guess the larger diameter and greater number of spokes really adds up.

Now, has anyone weighed the different brand tires available for these cars today? I know that newer tires are able to be made quite a bit lighter, specially in a bias ply, but not sure that aspect of tire construction has made it's way to "T" tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:54 am:

FWIW, My Simplex wire wheels (30 x 3.5) are 30.8 lbs empty. With center hubs, they're 33.9 lbs each.

Don't know about tire weights...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

I just put a '25-'27 21" wooden front wheel on a bathroom
scale. 48 lbs with tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Robert

To do a real comparison, you will have to specify tire, tube type (rubber stem or metal stem and/or metal stem with dust cover, and flap (if used). The means tube, flap and hardware to the tire should be considered too. Not just the tire.

For me tire weight isn't a big deal, esp. if you do good to the T engine and pep it up with a new rebuild and say a hi-comp head. :-)

By experience I say a smoothie tread T tire is the lightest, as they have little thickness with no tread, and so do wear away fast!

Guess one way to get tire weight is to call the vendor and ask for shipping weight of the tire in question, bet they have that info in their order entry database.

My preference for 30" clincher, the Universal T Driver or the Firestone.

And for balloon, the Firestone. I have a set of Excelsior on Dixie, my '27 touring, they are lasting great, and ride good, but the tread pattern is poor, as the tiny wiggle pattern sure does pick up and hold pebbles. We have lots of fine gravel/sand roads around me, and the tires are always full of those rocks.

Excelsior 21"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration