Seat repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Seat repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

Hi everyone,

First, a big thank you to Larry Smith for his kind help and generosity on a previous project!

I am looking for a way to re-stuff and cover the rear back rest and seat on my 1916 Touring. I have decided that I am going to do as little as possible (outside of safety and mechanical) to this car, so I guess I am looking for recommendations of how someone back in "the day" (or more recently) would have covered damaged upholstery without a full replacement. I have heard some used burlap sacks, blankets or whatever else was handy. I DO want it to look as nice as possible, but neither my vision for the car, nor (and here is the important part) my wallet are agreeable to a full restore. :-) As always, suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Patrick Mulrooney

Side note: The car has been on jack stands for a couple months while I did due diligence on the spindles, bushings, etc... The parts I need have been on back order, however I just found out they shipped Friday. Annie will be mobile and ready for a ride by mid week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Making upholstery that is torn, missing the padding or just plain worn out look good will up to you.
Get some padding to fill up whats missing in the back seat and get a blanket or ?? and cover it up the best that you can. Maybe tack it on in a few places on the tack strip or?? Its your call outside of spending the money and replacing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

Tough to fix that. You'll need something to cover the padding.

That brake lever looks interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 08:48 am:

The brake lever has the accessory extension installed on it, brings the handle within easy reach:

http://www.modeltford.com/item/A-HBEX.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Deckman, Ogden Utah on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:17 am:

Do not forget to replace the Babbitt thrust washers in the rear end. Your life depends on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Good morning All,

John, I did buy the tack strip and tacks. Already used the tacks to secure the material on the doors which was worn and hanging in places. Came out pretty good. My personal thought is to use some cardboard or other stiffer material to cover the bare springs then as you said, fill in the missing padding. My quandary is I would like whatever covering I use to match the "patina" and personality of the rest of the car.

Ken, yes it is indeed going to be tough. As Mark stated, the brake lever has an extension accessory on it. It Does make it much easier to reach, however it does tend to get in the way of your left leg.

Andrew, after taking a few small trips (less than a couple of miles) my next project will indeed be the rear end, especially the thrust washers. These are pointed out with enough regularity that I would be a fool not to check and replace if installed. Thank you for also pointing it out. I plan on using the car for family outings so want to ensure it is as safe as possible!

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:02 pm:

i have never done this, but i have some seats like that and i thought the original stuff is like paint on canvas, so why not paint some canvas? once dry, it will crack up to look old, but will it stay on, or be uncomfortable, don't know. trying for a perfect match is going to take some experimenting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

I've seen pictures of Burlap being used as seat covering materials

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

Unfortunately, when that old Ford material gets rotten, there is little that can be done to save it. I'm experiencing the same thing with my '13 runabout with the original leather. I've put conditioners on it, and it looked promising for a while, but when I started using the car, the leather started really going downhill fast. It just doesn't like being sat in any more. I wonder if I'm lucky enough to be around at 101 years old, if I'll fare any better!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration