Coil box terminal bolt question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Coil box terminal bolt question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

What size are the threads on the terminal studs? Are they a common size or odd?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

10/32
Common size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 11:13 pm:

Thanks
I thought so but my die(cheep)was fighting to go on so I stopped before I did any damage. I will get one of those Dermal wire wheels to clean the gunk out tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

The 10-32 thread is very common, but as far as I know all the nuts being made in that size today are 3/8" across the flats. The nuts Ford used were 7/16" across, often with the hole slightly off center. I made my own 7/16" nuts, but used brass. I prefer the look of them, and they won't rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:57 am:

The coil box should have nuts securing the porcelain to the stud, but the coil box wires are secured by knurled nuts, not hex nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 08:13 am:

Royce, is that true for all years? I see that Lang's carries the knurled nuts, but their description says they are for 1909-1913 cars.
They show a brass hex nut for 1914 and up cars.

http://www.modeltford.com/item/5005KN.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 08:36 am:

Mark,

I don't know about all years, but at least through 1917 Ford used knurled nuts on the coil box and timer terminals.

This is the original cast iron Ford script timer from my '17 torpedo runabout:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 08:40 am:

Thanks, Royce. Now I know why they provide them in packs of 15, 10 for the coil box, 4 for the timer, and maybe one spare in case you drop and lose one? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:36 am:

I'm not sure about '14 up, but the wood coil boxes use a cross knurl, not a straight knurl. As Royce mentioned the later T's use a thin hex nut. I get the later style nuts off old junk coil boxes, and save the good parts for later use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

I make the correct 7/16" hex nuts and all of the different correct thumb nuts for all coilboxes, 1909-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Sorry; forgot the photo. L to R: hex nut, 7/16 x 10-32; Heinze thumb nut; Kingston/JB thumb nut, and Ford thumb nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

Randall
Do you definitively know what years the "Ford thumb nut" and "7/16 ATF X 10-32 hex nuts" were used on coilbox terminal bolts?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

They were used at least 1913-16. I can't definitely say but I'm pretty sure the hex nuts were changed to copper plated steel about the time the brass tops on the coils were dropped and continued for a short time after that before changing to 3/8" copper plated nuts of the same thread, which by the way never changed on the terminal nuts; they were 10-32 from 1909 right on through. I doubt that it took Ford very long to start using the same nut on the terminals and the coil bridges.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration