Front Timken bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front Timken bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

You can purchase the front outer bearings from a number of vendors, but they do not have the insert. Can the insert be removed from an old bearing and reused in a new bearing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

What insert? If you're talking about the threaded inner race, no it can't be removed without destroying the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

This is the standard Timken bearing. It comes as a single complete unit. The other side is 09076. The best price I've found for them was at Rock Auto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 12:08 am:

I believe the insert Dave is thinking of is one where the RH Threads has been replaced with a LH threaded insert. This i9s probably pressed in and Loctited to prevent it from coming apart.

I bet it might be possible to remove one with some heat and a press?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 02:01 am:

Dave, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you are referring to the Timken right and left hand bearings that don't have an insert listed, they don't need one. The inner race(cone) is already threaded. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 05:39 am:

Lang's offers a pair of front wheel outer bearings with threaded inserts: http://www.modeltford.com/item/2837-38R.aspx

The reason to use them instead of the original Timkens would be the lower price, $44.50 a pair instead of $145.90 a pair for the Timkens: http://www.modeltford.com/item/2837.aspx http://www.modeltford.com/item/2838.aspx

I haven't had any reason to try pressing out the inserts, guess they are fitted with interference fit in combination with some loctite as Gene writes, the interference fit would explain the tight fit of the threads on the spindles making them hard to install and adjust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Dave

If I see a picture of the bearing on a non Model T site, it shows it without the threaded insert. Maybe 09075 and 09076 always come with the threaded insert and they just used a picture of a standard bearing.

Roger
I tried the cheaper set that Langs has. What a pain to tighten up. I think you need a special tool for those. I am willing to spend the extra just to be able to tighten them easily.

I know the original Timkens might be made outside the US, but if not, I would rather support an American worker than a Chinese. I might pay more, but it could be the guy down the street who is my neighbor that needs that job at Timken to support his family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:23 am:

Steve, the bearing you showed from Rock Auto. Is this the same thing they are selling at the parts houses? I went to Rock Auto's website and the picture looks different but that could be a generic picture shown there. If I were to use the two part numbers 09075 and 09076 Are these the same bearings as the originals?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:38 am:

It's your neighbor, but he's not just down the street. Look carefully at the bearing above, and you'll see where it was made. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:53 am:

Adam, yes, it's the same bearing all the dealers sell. In fact, I'm not sure whether the one in the picture is from Rock or Lang's.

These are the part numbers:

Model T Ford Front Wheel Bearings

Item.................................Ford #........Timken #

Inner cup.........................2833...........14273
Inner bearing...................2834...........14120
Outer cup........................2836............09194
Outer bearing, Left.........2837............09075
Outer bearing, Right.......2838............09076

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Dave H. -- The similar bearings without the threaded race were used on Model A's through '48 Fords. I've seen them used on Model T's I took apart. They will fit onto a T spindle, but they will be running on the spindle's threads, so there's not much contact area. I haven't used the ones with inserts, so I can't comment on those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Great Info Thanks Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

Steve

I would rather my neighbor be in Canada than Asia.

Thank you for the info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

I know I've mentioned it here before, but for anyone on a budget, I can probably save you money on your bearings. For the forum guys here, I would gladly sell them for my cost plus actual shipping charges.

That applies to the Chinese or North American bearings. Some Chinese bearings have gotten better but if you need to buy Asian bearings it's still better to stick with Japanese (best) or Korean (distant second best).

I won't publicly post pricing. If you're interested, drop me a line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

Rockauto has both R and L Frt Brng Cones for $48.81. each.

I bought these Timkens and replaced all my front wheel bearings and cups.

Just didn't trust the insert thing for a few less $$.
I don't know if that was better than Dan can offer but the shipping was free. I'd be interested to know for next order?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rodell, Sr.- Wisconsin on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

If you Google "Rockauto coupon code", you will usually find one for at least a 5% discount on your order.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration