OT - My American Underslung

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - My American Underslung
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

Since David added the post about Underslung's at Amelia I thought it was time to show y'all what I have been working on for the last six years. In March 2008 I went to Chickasha with a friend and we picked up my 1914 American Underlsung that was literally in pieces. It started out as a 95% complete basket with some assembly required. We loaded in his trailer and brought it home. With the help of my father and brothers we have been working on getting back together. Over that time period we rebuilt the engine, transmission, and rear axle along with getting new wheels and rims made and fabricating lots of small hardware that was missing and not available. And did I mention to add to the fun my brother Jim bought a 1911 Model T touring that has also been undergoing a full restoration.
Right after Hershey last year I received an invitation to show the American chassis as part of the Underslung class at Amelia. The race was on to get things painted and powder coated and and the chassis assembled. To add to the distraction mother nature dropped a couple of ice storms on Atlanta just to make it more interesting. We got it done and I was very gratified at the very positive comments that we received at the show. We'll get another chance to show it when it is all together. Hopefully that will be sooner than later. In the meantime I am still driving my 13 T and still enjoy it very much.
The photos show loading at Chickasha, before and during Amelia, and a factory photo of what it will look like.
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

Wow. Good Job.

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

Looks like you're well on your way to a great car. I admire those restorations where people make a lot of their own parts. It's a much tougher row to hoe than putting together a Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Alan,

It looks great! Have you had it running yet and do you have the body for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

Fantastic thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:46 am:

Great stuff, Alan. I can say that it was an American Underslung that won me over to the antique car hobby as a 12 year old.

I got a job painting fences for an old guy in the neighborhood who had a few rentals one summer. In the garage of his house he had an American Underslung.

I remember falling instantly in love with the primitive lines, the archaic design and the pure basic mechanicalness of it.

From that moment on, I was hooked.

You're on your way to an awesome ride there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 06:35 am:

Alan,
Great work on an incredible project. If you have time, would you please give a we specs (wheel base, hp, etc). Good luck, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 09:04 am:

The car is a four passenger touring as shown in the factory photo. I do have most of the original body. The engine is a six cylinder T head with a 4-1/2 bore and 6 inch stroke (572 cubic inches). Wheelbase is 132 inches and the transmission is 4 speeds, with direct drive in 4th gear. The wheels are 41 x 4-1/2 (32 inch). The engine has been run briefly on a test stand but not in the chassis. We are working toward getting it to a point where it will move under its own power.

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 09:21 am:

Wow, a big fast (I assume) car. I'll bet your excited to get it on the road.

Thank you for the information, and please keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 09:38 am:

That's a work of art...It'll be a shame to get it dirty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 10:49 am:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/other/auction-682881468.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

Great job Alan!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

Very nice. Keep up the great work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

that is one of the things i enjoy at chickasha, you get to cars like that. never see them around home, and certainly never in my garage. nice job so far, show us when its done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:34 am:

Beautiful! I love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Magnificent!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration