O.T.New Photo 1924 American La France (enjoy tim)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: O.T.New Photo 1924 American La France (enjoy tim)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:23 am:

At a parade in Callahan Fl railroad day's fire truck fire truck My understanding is the original rear tires would have been dual solid rubber but were dry rotted so they and the front tires were upgraded to motor grader tires from the period. Gotta get coffee now more pic's in a minute

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:28 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 07:34 am:

Neat! Thanks for sharing. I wonder what the road speed on those monsters was?

Thank you for sharing,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 08:15 am:

G.R....thanks! wow that is a neat firetruck. Spent the whole weekend surfing for another T firetruck...you think I could find one?? I love those guages in the lower pics....trying to find something close to '20's guages, and those are hard to find too. I'll end up buying a couple of modern ones, and then "beating them up" a bit I guess!!
Soon as I get the engine in the '15, I'll start on the Firetruck engine. Never ends!

Rob, somehow I bet it's better than my TT! Someday gotta get the high speed ring & worm gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 08:33 am:

I have one of those spedo housings if anyone needs it.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

Rob it really all depends on the rear end ratio of course. Some departments had steep hills so opted for a greater ratio. I have driven in one that had not so high a ratio. I was constantly prepared to jump tuck and roll at forty plus mph. Those engines are crazy strong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

My friend has one of those which I drive occasionally. They are fairly fast. I haven't driven his much over 25 or 30. They have worse brakes than a Model T. I believe the one pictured here is a 6 cylinder , type 75.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

Yes Jerry it is a 6 cylinder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

Owosso, Michigan is restoring their 1921 American LaFrance

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzSEHxKIGg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

I drive a 1917 type 75. ALF claimed 60 MPH. I have had it over 50. The engine has much more power than it needs to move the truck. The power is needed to pump 1000 gallons per minute. An awesome machine for its day.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 12:24 am:

GR-
By 1924 ALF had a pneumatic tire option. My 1921 has solid tires and the rear are duel tires. Consequently, the rear fender is about 4" wider than the running board. Based upon the width of the rear fender on this rig, I'd say the pneumatics are original.

It is an interesting rig, what type#? My type 45 has a hose bed that is short in length, but it had been modified my the Seattle Fire Dep't. Is the round tank behind the seat water?

The 6 cylinder ALF engine puts out 72.6 hp. Speed was not a high priority, because fire engines driving in the city had to deal with city traffic! The 72.6 hp was needed when pumping 1000+ gallons of water per minute.

I have driven my Model Ts faster than my ALF. Like Jerry says, the brakes are poor at best. Just like a Model T a stop is a planned event...

The original ALF engine has a unique sound. It does not go faster than sound, it just sounds faster than it goes...

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:00 am:

There is one on display in our local museum, it has been made into a speedster, what a monster of a machine!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:11 am:

Whoa! Now, THAT is what a fire truck should look like!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 07:23 am:

Keith the only thing I know about this truck is what the driver told me. it is owned by a local Mechanical contracting company (W.W.Gay) in Jacksonville I just thought it was a neat truck and would be liked here. My brother was a paramedic and is currently in negotiations to re-restore a 22 ALF for Ft. Myers He restored it once when he was active and it was used in parades and such when he retired it was sent to a museum where with a lack of attention it has developed issues.... As my brother says "A Firetruck Is supposed to be beautiful except when fighting a fire at which time beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

I have a 1923 American LaFrance Brockway Torpedo that runs great now thanks to my friends Jerry Van and Norm Bolz. It originally came out of Belleville, MI. It's a LaFrance on a Brockway Truck chassis. It still pumps like a son of a gun, too. The nice thing about it, unlike most behemoth fire engines, this one fits right in my garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ian Dean on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:14 pm:

There have been a number of American La France fire trucks imported into Britain, and then "converted" (butchered!) into open two seat speedsters from complete, fully equipped and gorgeous fire trucks . The value suddenly jumps and unsuspecting people with too much money and little knowledge buy them. The original fire trucks are absolutely superb and have a genuine heritage. Sad to see them ruined in this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

RG-
It is a beautiful rig. Thanks for sharing.
Marty-
It looks like your rig has the original square pleat seat upholstery. NO diamond tufts for ALF! Ours has a little too much poof in the padding.

Here is another original:

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

Thanks, Keith. Is that your rig's upholstery? More pics, please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 02:16 am:

The upholstery shown above is not my rig. It is correct original.

Mine has been re-done, too poof-y, as the photo up higher shows. SFD on the hood.

I'll have to get my digital camera out and take some pictures of some prints...

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

Nice rig, Keith!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

I think these old fire trucks are really something. They provide a glimpse of evolving cutting edge technology from the period. I admire those of you who go to the trouble and expense of preserving and restoring them!

Of all the really cool stuff there is to look at, I think my favorite is the spring loaded front bumper shown in several of the pictures. Maybe it was to accommodate "worse brakes than a Model T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 01:10 am:

What great looking trucks. What sort of prices do good ones change hands for?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration