Silent Movie "The First Auto" and 999

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Silent Movie "The First Auto" and 999
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

I was watching Turner Classic Movies last night and a movie from 1927 called "The First Auto" written by a young Daryl F. Zanuck had just started. It was a comedy/drama about the son of a livery stable owner and his son. The Dad was totally against "horseless carriages" while the son was a progressive and interested in the "new fangled" auto. Listed in the opening credits was "Barney Oldfield As Himself". There was a scene with Barney driving, what looked like, the Ford 999. He was racing, alone, around a track and some of the shots were pretty cool seeing both Barney and the 999 in action. Some of the shots were long, others showed Barney in the car head-on probably taken from a camera car just ahead of the 999. Anybody ever see the movie and was it the 999?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 31, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

The Internet Movie Cars Database list the 1901 Ford 999 as in one scene.

http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=17886

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

Yeah, that;s it. Thanks, Dan. Cool site, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Why I don't know but I suffered through that movie as well.
It took forever to get to some good stuff and most of what occurred earlier in the movie was just plain stupid.
The ending was rather unexpected though....... :-)
At the time I imagine it was quite a movie with some pretty imaginative camera work which has the be the ONLY reason Zanuck ever amounted to anything because it sure wasn't the rest of the movie that catapulted him to the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Craig, I agree about suffering through it, but, I wanted to see Barney in action.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration