Replacing a top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Replacing a top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iceman on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:51 am:

Need some help on putting on the back window / curtain on 1923 touring. I don't know how it's fasten to car and iron / bow? Some pics/diagrams would help. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:58 am:

Tops are overrated! Just leave it off.

LOL, just kidding. I have a speedster that has no top so I have no clue how to help you, HOWEVER! I'm sure someone will post here shortly who will know exactly what you need. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 07:26 am:

Rear curtain is a separate piece of material. Hidem welt can be opened up and the tacks removed from both the rear bow and the tack rail on the body. Just peel the 2 welt ribs apart to expose the tacks. There will seem to be a lot of tacks but eventually you'll get them all. THen the curtain should come off. Any other T folks in your area ? Extra hands will make the job easier. Do it on a warm day if you can as the material is easier to work with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:03 am:

Pictures from earlier post on top cover, runabout, but the rear curtain is similar on a touring. rear curtain on first, then the top cover is fitted. Lap joint made of top cover over the rear curtain on the rear bow to keep out rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:04 am:

Here is an earlier thread showing some steps I took during my installation of a Classtique top kit on my 1923 touring / pickup conversion last year.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/387929.html?1379253208

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By iceman on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:53 am:

Thanks everyone just what I needed. .Dan the pics is what I was looking for. Mark the link is detailed enough that I should finish it soon. .thx again. Great people here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 11:21 am:

Iceman,

Some tips.

Lots of people use staples instead of tacks. That's fine except for the fact that to install a nice taught looking top with no wrinkles, you have to make several "adjustments" along the way. Meaning, you have to occasionally remove a some tacks here & there to pull this or that area a bit tighter, or in a slightly different direction. Pulling staples is a bitch. However, if you use tacks and don't drive them down fully during the "adjustment & fit-up" phase, they are easy to remove. Once you're satisfied with the look and fit, then staple away, or continue to use tacks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 11:48 am:

A few tips. I don't know the correct dimensions from the top of the seat to the rear top bow, as it varies from year to year. If you bought a top from one of the vendors, they should give you that dimension. There are two pieces of webbing which attach between the bow and the rear panel tack strip. How those webbings are attached will lock in that measurement. It should be measured from the seat to the bow, not from the ground up, because the body could be slightly tilted and it will look correct if measured from the back of the seat, but it will always look crooked if measurement is from the ground.

Once the position of the bow is set, then place the webbing from the front bow to the rear bow.

Next the rear curtain, the pads for the top and the windbreaker which goes between the front bow and the windshield. Lastly, the top is placed and the tack strips.

Another important thing to do is to find the center of the rear curtain and tack to the exact center of the bow and the back panel. Work outward to the sides with your tacks pulling the material tight. Same thing with the top, start in the center of the front and back bow

It is best to install the top outdoors on a hot sunny day so that the material will stretch. Otherwise you will find that it sags in hot weather.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration