Nut packing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Nut packing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:01 am:

Guys, Whats was the name of that nut packing string that was used many years ago. Iv used it for the packing nut on the carbs but have run out. It was black with some kind of coating on it. I cant seem to come up with the name on the google search.

I like this stuff better than the felt because I run into times wear the felt somehow got into the fuel line and sticking in the metering valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:03 am:

I thought this was a thread for squirrels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:09 am:

Don't know about the coated string, I like the idea of using a piece of gas resistant rubber hose on the fuel line instead of felt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:11 am:

I think you are talking about the graphite impregnated string used on water pump packing.
It should be available in a hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:14 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/386084.html?1378139921

An old thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:43 am:

Herb, I think thats the stuff Im looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:01 am:

I wonder if the white soft string type sold as hose faucet packing would work for that use. It may be smaller diameter? Easy to find at hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:03 am:

Will

The marine stores (like West Marine) used to sell a teflon packing for prop shafts that was truly amazing.

It would keep anything from passing the seal and never scored the shaft no matter how hard it was compressed.

I know its still sold - might be worth checking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

Roger, I like that idea, I'm going to try that if I can get the right size. Bud, I will check out your stuff also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 06:37 pm:

You can get it at places like Home Depot too. It's back in the faucet parts isle. The last time I saw it, there was white and black. I'm guessing the white is Teflon and the black is graphite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

We used to buy rope packing for our pumps at the bearing supply house. McMaster Carr would be a good choice also. I would start there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration