Driving when windy

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Driving when windy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

It's a beautiful day today in Northeast Ohio but very windy. I have driven on windy days before but was wondering if it was ever too windy to be safe in a Model T. At what point do you park the Model T and walk...20 mph- 30mph- 40 mph?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

If the wind blows off your top, it is too windy to drive a T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 04:19 pm:

I once was driving into a headwind strong enough to cause my floorboards to shift around and interfere with using the pedals. I had to whip into a side street and coast around until I could bring it to a stop. It was a memorable experience, to say the least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

I've had the floor boards blow up when driving into a head wind. I did not have the floor mat in at the time. I've not had it happen with the floor mat in, but I'm sure it is still possible if the wind is strong enough.

We drove 60-70 miles in a pretty good wind last Sunday. The buffeting made the car feel like it had an engine miss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

On our racer we have disc wheels, first time we took it out over here there was a fair wind. Terrified us so much we daren't take it over 20mph!

Hopefully it'll be a little calmer later in the year so we can get some proper driving done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

I once drove in a windstorm so strong my winged motometer lifted the front end of my car off the ground!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Mike, turn it around and it will keep the front end from lifting.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

Mike... oh it is April 1st

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

One time on the Montana 500, on a stretch between Helena and Boulder, the wind was blowing so hard that my GPS was running backward. I turned on my headlights and the light got blown backwards. I didn't get passed by any T's, but a guy in a rowboat, a wicked witch, and some chick and her dog in a house all blew by me.

On another note: Why are the boy scouts tired on April 1st? They just got done with a 31 day March!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

A few years ago we toured a 1909 Ford touring in Reinbeck New York area. The wind blows with some force down the long straight stretch of the Hudson there. At the late afternoon the wind was fierce and we were advised to put our tops down before going across the Reinbeck bridge which is some 600+ feet above the Hudson.

A large Pierce touring did not heed the warning and the top was ripped and destroyed going over the bridge. I remember pulling both ears down and making only 17 miles per hour headway. I had the steering wheel cranked 1/4 turn just to keep the Ford going straight. My wife and a friend were so scared they took to the floor of the rear seat screaming all the way across. One hell of a ride for sure.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 10:07 pm:

I was running into a strong wind along the coast when the monocle windshield on my Speedster began to spin!
It spun so fast that the Speedster was lifted right up off the road like a helicopter and didn't settle back down until I had flown clean up to Los Angeles International Airport where I had to sit her down without clearance from the tower. The airport police showed up, but they let me go because they didn't believe my story.
Can you imagine that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:56 am:

Dennis...being in North Central Ohio, we had the same winds as you. I was gonna take the '12 out for a spin, but I've been in the '20 with the top up last fall when it was blowing 30-35 and when in a cross-wind I thought the car was gonna tip over in the harder gusts. Was glad to get it home. Top down, not so much of a problem, just a lot cooler even yesterday in the 60's. Could still feel the cold eminating up from the ground. So I left it in the garage and finished the shackles on the '20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:39 am:

Years ago in LA I was driving My 25 Roadster on the Orange Beach Road and a thunderstorm hit us from behind. At the time I had two American Flags tied to my headlights. I was running with both ears down, as fast as I could and the flags were flapping straight out in front of the car. That was a funny site. Dan P.S. LA is Lower Alabama

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:15 am:

Driving a Fordor on a really windy day will raise the pucker factor to 100.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:23 am:

I slant the windshield on my '14 touring to give me additional down force at high speed. Picked that trick up watching the NASCAR races. You need goggles though.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 11:05 am:

Driving with the wind behind you and roughly the same speed can make the T overheat.

Really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 11:32 am:

I thought I was having a problem with wind but the next day I noticed stress cracks around the hub of the right front wire wheel. That might have been the problem, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

Adam...you're right. While I didn't experience true overheating one very warm day last year downwind, the red stuff on the moto meter went right to very near the top! Now today, was different. Downwind, and at only 10 mph breeze at 50 degrees, the red stuff never even climbed out of the bottom!! But it was a nice ride just the same, just a bit chilly. After this winter, who cares!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 07:40 pm:

Winds don't affect a good speedster. We hit gusts that would blow us out of the seats but for seatbelts, while the car stayed rock solid.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration