Heartland Tour in the fall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Heartland Tour in the fall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 11:27 pm:

For the last couple of years Gary and Chris Paulsen have arranged a fall weekend tour out of McPherson. This year Ed Emerson and I have the honor of setting it up. This time it will be based in Arkansas City on the weekend of October 3-5 and will cover sites near the border in southern Kansas and northern Oklahoma. We plan to visit some of the stone bridges in rural Cowley County, the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve down in the Osage country, and the Marland Mansion in Ponca City, as well as several other points of interest. In fact, the more I study this the more it becomes a question of what to leave out.

There's a saying that anybody who thinks Kansas is flat has never ridden across it on a bicycle. Be that as it may, and it probably will, don't expect any major climbs. There may be a low gear spot or two, but I don't expect them to amount to much. I'll know about that better after we've driven all the routes. It looks like the only time we'll have to be on a US highway is when we cross one. Except in town, we'll be mostly on rural township and county roads, away from speedy traffic. A few of them may be paved.

I'll have more details later, but I want to get the word out now so anybody who wants to join the party can keep that first weekend of October open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 02:43 am:

Love your house Steve....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:19 am:

OT, but Steve's bicycle reference got me thinking about the power/weight ratio of a Model T versus a person on a bicycle. Using rough, ballpark numbers:

First, a Model T roadster:

1550 lbs / 20 hp = 77.5 lb/hp

Next, a 200 lb man on a 25 lb bicycle:

225 lbs / 0.5 hp = 450 lb/hp

No wonder my legs hurt after climbing a hill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

Looks great! Count me in.
I don't know if it's an honor to set it up, but we really appreciate it!
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

Me Too! Bought a new car trailer today! Looks like i'll have the T moving about this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 11:54 pm:

Looks like Steve has enough room to park everyone's car inside in the event of rain.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration