Trailer hitch for a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Trailer hitch for a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

Our granddaughter was over today learning to bake bread with Mema and they not only cooked up the bread, but an idea to pull a trailer behind our '26T roadster for a birthday hay ride in June. It seems we have a budget buster month in June with my wife's, grandkids, son-in-law and friends birthdays. This hitch would also have to work on our '20 touring and '25 coupe as my wife has suddenly seen the light on small tent campers. Amazing how retirement realigns the bean.
All of our cars have spares and I have been interested in this for sometime myself. Any advice and help would be appreciated as all of a sudden the whole family is after me to "getem on the road again!"

Thanks again.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 01, 2014 - 11:53 pm:

Joe, I don't know if any kind of trailer hitch would work on a T with a rear mounted spare tire, especially if it hangs down low. I have two T trailer hitches which I have yet to mount and try out. They both, mount on the bottom of the rear spring, using the rear spring U bolts. When I can, I'll take a picture of them and post to this thread. The first is a commercially made cast iron or steel hitch. The second one I designed and had a welder friend make using the spring mount end of a 26 T touring or sedan, gooseneck tire carrier. You can not mount a rear spare tire with either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 12:05 am:

Boy, do I have some reading for you!

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249787.html?1322924618

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/69246.html?1226098461

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/167267.html?1292634335

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/220448.html?1309263705

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 12:10 am:

On the touring and the roadster you can mount the spare on the side. It won't be blocking any door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:16 am:

It appears that the Buller coupler was developed for threshing engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

Seems like we get a trailer thread every six or eight months. I think pulling a trailer would not only make the car more difficult to drive, but more difficult to enjoy. I'd rather limit myself to what I can pack on the car, or in my case truck. I don't plan on fully loading my truck bed, either. Part of the fun of camping is the minimalist mindset. At least that's how I see it. Maybe some of you guys with trailers have another opinion. If I want to take up trailer camping, I'll buy a Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 05:25 pm:

Check the thread just before this one. It shows a pic of Dean Yoder pulling a trailer with the spare tire carrier still mounted in the original position.
I guess it all in the way you mount the trailer hitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

The name of the thread is 'got pulled over today'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Dean Yoder's hitch set-up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

Here is my spare tire carrier shamelessly patterned after the one made by Steve Jelf.

(Steve - They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery)

Its a perfect place to mount your spare - totally out of the way and looks cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:36 pm:

I have a few running board tire carriers in stock,if anyone needs one,contact me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 06:21 pm:

Here's a photo of the commercially made cast accessory hitch made for a T and the one that I made from a 26-27 gooseneck tire carrier.The commercially made hitch is so short that it must have been for use with a touring or a sedan. I made the longer one for a coupe.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration