How do you BALANCE WOODEN SPOKE WHEELS?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How do you BALANCE WOODEN SPOKE WHEELS?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 07:57 am:

What method do you guys use to balance wooden wheels? Can it be done!!!! I have the shakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 07:59 am:

The vendors sell a product called dyna beads you funnel into the tube. Supposed to work really well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:00 am:

Certainly, here's a current thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/433824.html?1395956002

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:07 am:

Sorry guys. I did not see my previous post on March 27 2014 concerning this issue. Thank you for your responses. I am ready to balance my wheels now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Daniel :I did it as ,see pictures , You can do the front and the rear wheels , and it is very close.
689R
690R
757R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 04:02 pm:

I hope here the pictures
689R
690R
758R
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 06:30 pm:

Dan, First make sure your wheels are not out of round.
Many of us here use the Dyna Beads with great results. Nice thing is that the wheels always stay in balance as the tires wear and they don't show like some of the solder wrapped around the spokes or weights glued on to the rims which sometimes can fall off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

Fix the front end first. Most times that is where the problem is. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

I've taken my wooden wheels to a motorcycle repair shop. They have a balance where the wheel hangs from a cable. My 21" wooden wheel & tire fit on their machine. They installed some stick on weights. Really made a difference for me and was rather easy.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

Toon

I like your fixture for wood hub. Will have to try a mod of that with my Harbor Freight bubble balance. This one works great for wire wheels, as the center is the right size.

wire wheel on bubble balancer, to get the balance placed some nuts and stuff on the rim at the out of balance spot.

Then weighted out a length of solid solder to match the balance weight needs.

Then wrapped the nearby spoke with the solder and the wheel/tire was in balance. Added some clear glue over the solder to hold it fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:35 am:

I have found Dyna Balance Beads marvellous, my wheels are out of true in all three dimensions.

I installed the beads, slowly, with lots of tickling the valve stems but it did work!

I don't understand how they work but, I don't understand (but respect) electricity!

In my opinion, a very good investment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 07:55 am:

This is a handy gizmo for balancing wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Dear Daniel,

I first saw Dyna Beads in 2005 on a Motor Home. They are great and I am using on my T's. They are not a sub for poor wheels and loose front Axel assemblies. But if you are feeling vibes at hwy speeds they are a good answer.

Cary

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration