Are 4:1 and 5:1 Steering Gear Outer Covers Interchangeable?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Are 4:1 and 5:1 Steering Gear Outer Covers Interchangeable?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Hello all, my 1923 touring / pickup conversion has a later, 5:1 steering gearbox cover on it (knurling the full height of the cover). I don't know if the whole column is a 5:1 ratio or not, is there an easy way to tell without taking it apart?

In a thread last year, I mentioned that the previous owner of my car apparently tried to drill out the remains of a broken locking screw and managed to break the drill bit off in the hole, so the cover is really stuck.

In anticipation of someday having to remove the stuck cover, if necessary by cutting a piece out of it to allow me to dig the remains of the drill bit out, I bought an older, 4:1 cover with the knurling only on the top half of the cover.

My question is, are the covers functionally interchangeable, or do they have different numbers of gear teeth inside?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:35 am:

The cover doesn't have any gears and should be interchangeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:38 am:

Ahh, the gears are in the lower part of the housing? Great, that's a relief, thanks Roger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:42 am:

They are interchangeable, and usually the full knurl denotes 5-1, but not always.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:44 am:

Hi: The covers are interchangable. Very early brass ones may be different as Im not sure about them. The only way I know how to tell the 4:1 from the 5:1 is to look at the gears. 5:1 gears should be marked with a number 5 or you can count the teeth on the gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:47 am:

You really need to get that cover off so you can check and grease the gears. At this point it could be just grease dust left (LOL) and should be checked. Taking the cover off and making sure there is sufficient grease is part of regular maintenance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:30 am:

To get the broken screw and bit out, how about using a mini hole saw like is used for a spot weld cutter? They're only about 5/16" diameter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:33 am:

Mark,

The 5:1 column will have a square flange where it mounts to the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:42 am:

Mark-
Look at the arc shaped groove in the bottom of the gearbox. If it goes about 1/4 of the way around it is for the 4:1 gears. If it goes about 1/3 of the way around it is for the 4:1 gears.

Jerry, I believe the square flange is for '26-'27 only. The round flange with the 5:1 gears was used starting in '25 with the 21" wheels.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Keith,

Oops, you are correct! I forgot about 1925. Thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration