Getting a title for a model t

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Getting a title for a model t
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By laura p on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

How do I get a lost title for my model t in Michigan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

This topic keeps coming up on the forum.Why?? The only people who can help you is your state DMV. Go to a DMV branch and ask them what steps you must go through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

Laura: If you don't already know him, Don Booth is a great T guy who lives in Bay City and I'm sure he'd help you out all he could.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mc Ginnis Dearborn, MI on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

If you lost the title-meaning you once had this particular car titled in your name and now that piece of paper is lost-you can go to the Michigan Secretary of State who will find, in their system, your name with the particular car registered to it, and, for a small fee will issue you a new title in short order. If you never had the car titled in your name and now you are trying to get a title, that is a different story and will require more work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

Go on line and get the Michigan Vehicle Inspection Form. (You can google it)Fill out the top and part one for a police inspection/verification of the VIN. Call your local sheriff dept. and ask for someone to stop by and verify the VIN. Take the form to your local Dept of State Office and request a Lost Title. Don't tell them the car is not road worthy as they may ask and if it isn't they may issue a restricted title subject to road worthiness inspection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

It's Form TR-54.
What ever you do DO NOT apply for an Assembled Vehicle inspection. It's for hot rods and such and is a big can of worms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William P Schubert on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 06:39 am:

Laura, I found it was worth the drive to the Standish DMV. Their "small town" attitude and willingness to work with me was refreshing compared to Bay City's "how can I ruin your day?" mentality. If you are applying for a title, take Gary's advice do not let them call it an assembled vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 06:40 am:

Laura,

If I recall correctly, I sent you a PM last year and did not receive a response. I you want to send me a message, I will reply to you and tell you what I did all in great detail. Since many people on the forum do not live in Michigan, I think this is a simpler discussion off line.

A perfect time to straighten this out would have been when you got the car minus its roof and had not done much work to it. The less the car is valued, the easier it will be to title. Now that you've worked on the car, you may need a surety bond to cover its titled value as well as pay more taxes because its value has increased.

You do not want to go to the Bay City Supercenter to work out the title. They are busy and don't want to mess with you. There are better places nearby; I know because I went there myself.

Again, you are welcome to contact me for a step by step procedure including determining the value and obtaining a bond if you need one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 07:15 am:

Tom,

That is a really nice gesture on your part ... :-)

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:03 am:

I think a lot of folks are just leery about dealing with the DMV. Bad vibes and such so they ask here. And some times it pays like Tom's offer to help. I know where I live there's only one DMV office in Ocean County N.J. that deals in collector car plates. If you don't go there your basically going to get screwed over. They actually don't know the procedure for getting these plates in the other offices. Sounds nuts but that's the way it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:16 am:

Laura, I just got a Michigan title for a Model T that had never had one issued in its life. I filled out an affidavit of ownership, had a sheriff's deputy verify the serial number, and obtained a title surety bond for twice the selling price of the car. I took all of that along with the bill of sale to the DMV. I had to pay titling fees and the 6% use tax. Then I had to wait about 6 weeks for the Secretary of State to actually issue the title. It isn't particularly difficult to obtain, but it is a lot more difficult than it was a few years ago, when a bill of sale was sufficient to obtain title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

Been a while since I got a Lost Title so the Surety Bond requirement is new to me. Ya learn something new every day. Often wondered how long the DMV would accept the applicant's word on value, vehicle origin, etc. Any way here is the form.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-121_19890_7.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

Replacing a lost/misplaced title (application for a duplicate title) and applying for a new title are two different situations.

In Zachary's case above, he was applying for a new title, not replacing a lost title. That's why a surety bond was required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

Erik is right on. I assumed that this would be getting a new title for a long-lost title, as simply obtaining a new copy of an existing title is easy and requires no real instruction. Perhaps the OP can clarify the situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Hey Gary, according to the Vehicle Code you are only required to obtain the title if the value of the car is over $2,500. According to the obsequious little turd who runs the local DMV, however, over $2,500 includes $2,500 (the law is clear that it doesn't). So my car that I paid $2,500 for still needed a bond even though it shouldn't have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

That should read "obtain the bond" not "obtain the title". I really should proofread more closely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:20 pm:

Zachary, I had one of those little turds when I applied for a title for my '27, The car was ready to go but I wanted to do a couple little things before I wanted to take it out. When the clerk asked if the car was ready to drive on the road I foolishly said "almost". She said the car would need a "Road Worthy Inspection" and issued a restricted title. The inspection criteria is more for assembled or customized cars and includes such things as windshield washers, bumpers, turn signals, etc, etc. The deputy was very lienient on his inspection so got by there. When I went back to the DMV the clerk I got then could not understand what the first clerk was thinking. "It's an antique car for cripe sakes" and processed my title application.
So; Do not say car is assembled even if all Model T parts. Have car "ready for the road" when applying for a title. State car is a two door, four door, station wagon, pickup (vs hack, speedster, etc.) or something their computer can accept. (My speedster is a two door.) Sorry for long post but trying to pass along some tips on dealing with the ogre.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

I titled a 27 T purchased for cash from a long time owner who had lost the title. Michigan Secretary of State did a computer search and the title was not in their system. They gave me a form, I had the car inspected by a local policeman and returned and the lady reviewed the form, collected the sales tax and sent a title in two weeks. Could not have been easier, more convenient and polite. Secretary of State office in Milford Mich was a pleasure visit. Helped another T club member do the same thing with his T in Sterling Heights, Michigan and had the same experience.

Frankly, I would be upset if the DMV/Secretary of State did not check it out. Imagine if your T is stolen and a title is easily obtained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

Which is why I won't buy an un-titled car. If it turns up stolen your out. Car and possibly cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 08:44 am:

I continue to maintain it is easiest to title an antique car at a time when minimum restoration work has been put into the car. I bring photos when I plead my case and it is obvious the car is not running. My purpose is to establish my right to own the car before I invest more money, time, and labor to the project. Further, the authorities seem to realize there is no criminal intent involved when it is a rusty heap. I believe they are more worried when something valuable and shiny shows up in their offices with no record of a title.

That said, if a car is running and presentable and for sale, it darn well better have a title. I walked away from a very complete Mercury Cougar with a 390 engine in it for that very reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 09:00 am:

I agree with you Tom as far as flipping a title as fast as possible after a purchase. Usually it's the first thing I do after putting it in the garage but I don't deal in rusted heaps. The presentable car (running or not) is more my thing. Pictures are required here for collector car plates but not to flip an existing title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:08 am:

If you live in certain parts of California, I would not even think of going to the DMV. I used an independent vehicle registration agent when I titled my '25 roadster pickup. I told the guy exactly what I was doing, and what I wanted the outcome to be, and didn't have any problems. I gave him a rubbing of the engine number I used, and showed him Bruces book verifying that number. I told him I was building the car up from parts too. He walked me through the whole process, and took care of the DMV too. I also got YOM plates for it at the same time. I think the whole thing cost me $225, well worth the money. If I had to do it again, I would not tell them it was a pickup however. I had to take another '25 pickup I had, and get it weighed, and now I'm paying registration on a commercial vehicle.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration