T powered buzz saw video

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: T powered buzz saw video
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

Don't know if it's been shown on the forum before, fascinating to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LMv_Y4axYw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

Man that is cool!! The fan controlling the throttle is wild and still seems like it works really well. Even the huge logs just get Buzzed right through. I'm impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:09 am:

Seth, I too was fascinated by the fan powered governor. The ingenious things that generation came up with to accomplish work when they had little or nothing is amazing. My hat is off to fellows like this, their work ethic, knowledge of the Model T engine and their ability to make the old Flivver run like a swiss watch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Back in the day I used to cut cord with that same type buzz rig, We used an old Subaru for are power. I could cut a complete winters stock in a week if I had help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:48 am:

I was about 10 years old when Dad put me to work helping him lift newly cut Red Oak logs. My brother was 13 and had the job of catching the wood as it came off the saw. We ran our buzz saw with an old F14 Farmall. The saw was a separate unit. The arbor was mounted on its own Oak frame. Many of the old buzz saws had a sliding table that would hold the log as the operator fed it into the blade. Ours wasn't equipped with that table. Dad just slid the logs on a couple pieces of angle iron. My job was to help lift the small end of the log and help dad feed the log into the saw. I had to be careful to keep up with Dad as he was feeding the log into the blade. If I didn't keep up the log would "pinch" the blade and stop it. My brother was 13 years old and caught the stove wood when it came off the saw. Some of the oak would be up to 12" diameter and my brother would struggle beside the running saw to keep the wood clear of the blade. As you can imagine it was a very dangerous job. While watching the video in this thread, all the memories of working with one of these machines came flooding back in. The sound of the engine building rpm's and the "whine" of the blade as it chewed through the wood. I always thought it was strange that my dad would work in only a long sleeved work shirt in December and that would be soaked through with sweat as if he was throwing hay bales on a July day. The saw was a piece of our past and essential to survival in Northern Minnesota, however I always wished Dad would quit using it and just buck up the logs with a chain saw. Now Dad's been gone for nearly 15 years. My older brothers retired from driving truck over the road for 40 years and I'm no longer at the factory. We all survived those days and i don't think that way of simple living did much to hurt us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 11:55 am:

Very efficient use of a Model-T engine but VERY scary, given no OSHA approved guards or shields. I wonder how many times fingers or limbs or worse were lost due to a careless slip or mishap. But I guess you learned at an early age to respect the machinery and always had the precautions in the back of your mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:02 pm:

Neat governor.......same principal as most small air cooled engines.
I grew up using chainsaws and saw rigs and we even built some saw rigs.
There is no decent way to protect ones self from a saw blade without rendering it unusable......or MORE dangerous.
Like everything else in life you need to use your head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:19 pm:

Neat! Thanks for sharing it with us. It certainly isn't something you'd want to start doing without first checking to make sure your shoe laces are tied. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

Nope,A friend bought a 3 point mounted buzz rig this fall that had a moveable gaurd.Mounted on a 460 Diesel it works very well!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

Sadly, ole Bud has since passed on. I'm sure he's smiling knowing his Model T saw rig is still making sawdust doing it's intended purpose. I had to chuckle when he said his father bought the Model T for "ten dollars and ten chickens"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

BTW, I wasn't referring to you Mr. DeLong. Hope I didn't surprise anyone with my post. Guess we were typing about the same time. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

Larry Fairchild is well know to the Carbon Canyon Model T Club. The link is to a page that tells a short story of Larry and his hand-held, Model T powered chainsaw. The original image is a PDF file and no amount of Photoshop would allow me to make it small enough to fit here so I am providing a link.

http://www.carboncanyonmodelt.com/Larry%20Fairchild.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

John,
Here is the model T hot saw. Looks to me like it should be a four person saw rather then two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:40 am:

Dad still has one on the farm. It's powered by the pulley from the tractor. His is a stand a lone frame type. They nor I have used it in years. Those buzz saws do cut the wood faster then a chain saw! I did see one thing that would be a bad thing, leaving the log on the carriage when starting the motor, now that would be a bad way to go and not putting the log fully against the stops on the same. Fun to watch but those two things kinda made me cringe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Thanks Jim. Glad to see you "out-foxed" it!

Larry was "Bull of the Woods" two years ago at the Buckley Logging Rodeo.

I apologize to all for the thread drift...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:29 pm:

Sad to hear the fellow has passed on. The smile on his face when he got done sawing a log in two was worth a million bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

Robert Merz has posted several videos of Bud Merz with his Model T's and other old equipment.

One is "Starting and driving a Model T Ford"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ-fF7Vo4wM

And many more can be found at Robert Merz's Youtube site at:
https://www.youtube.com/user/tbwcontinueumi/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

(click on the "Load More" at the bottom to see all the videos about Bud)

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 08:33 pm:

Impressive, and he has all his fingers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration