Quick newbie question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Quick newbie question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

Other than turning the key to off, on, or magneto..what purpose does the lever serve?..I have never seen anyone leave it in other than the up-down position at all times. What does this lever actually do? And what is the dim position?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 11:56 pm:

John, the lever just turns the lights on. It will be straight up and down unless the lights are tuned on. The key moves independently of the lever.

Hope this helps,

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:07 am:

Thanks Allan, just got the car home today and had a major brain cramp of the glory days of the 20th century..Was up at 4am to retrieve my first T today, maybe i should just go to bed before i ask more stupid questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:11 am:

John, no worries. I ask stupid questions all the time. Congrats on the "new" car. Photos please when you get some sleep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:22 am:

Thanks Erich, you guys are great! Got lots of pics to share..Will put up a new one on my profile tonight and the rest to follow this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:56 am:

Lights: Lever clockwise for ON (bright) and counterclockwise for DIM;
Ignition: Key clockwise for MAG and counterclockwise for BAT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 01:12 am:

Thanks Steve,..Now i get it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 01:47 am:

It was sort of a pre-Art Deco way of designing things with concentric circles—a rotary switch within a rotary switch is minimalist and non-space consuming—a popular look at the time. In this case, the ignition key in the center, headlights on the lever.

Peeling off topic just a tiny bit; I liked the combination of Streamlining, Art-Deco and Egyptian that went into the Chrysler building. The '39 New York World's Fair was full of that stuff. Budd Manufacturing's weathervane comes to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:22 am:

I have a similar newbie question, does anybody actually use the "dim" setting? Aren't Model T headlights dim enough as it is on "bright"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:27 am:

Dim is usable if you have your lamps adjusted correctly and the buckets mounted and adjusted to factory specs.

And bright is brighter than dim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:10 am:

You also get DIM if you use the twin filament light bulbs with differing candlepower, i.e. brightness. Bulbs marked "21-32 CP" will have one filament which puts out 21 candlepower, and the other, 32 CP. Since you have two wires going to each headlamp, one wire is the "bright" wire, while the other is the "dim" one. Important to have the correct wire going to the desired filament. However, most bulbs today are 32-32, (or higher CP).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:12 am:

P.S. I've seen incorrectly wired cars that energize both filaments at the same time. The electrical system will not support that load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:52 am:

Do we need to start calling Steve, Tom. Switch off, key out and still charging better than 2Amps. How do you do it Steve, I mean Tom, as Edison. :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Dan Hatch, I was wondering that very same thing. And then I remembered, it's Steve of course it'll still charge with the switch in the off position and the key out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

It's that fine precision instrument. Maybe Henry bought it from Harbor Freight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

Ha, was thinking the same thing. Mine was made just the opposite as it is zeroed on 2 negative.

Kentucky windage I guess.

I use dim because it is bright enough and draws less current. I always forget what direction to turn the switch so I usually try both and watch what each does to the amp meter to decide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

If I remember correctly, the halogen bulbs you can buy are dual filament and the same brightness regardless of the switch position. The good thing is that if a filament burns out, you can simply flip the switch to get both headlights working again which will buy you lots of time until you can get a replacement bulb.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration