1917 Touring Car Bill Of Sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1917 Touring Car Bill Of Sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 06:11 am:

Jay,

Thank you so much for all your postings and in this case for another data point. Engine number 1,775,353 is listed in the Ford daily log books of the engine assembly department on Mar 17, 1917 between numbers 1,775,157 and 1,777,866 (ref page 514 of Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford." It was one of 2279 serial numbers issued that day. Most and possibly all of them that day could have been stamped that same day at Highland Park onto a completed engine assembly (block, head, transmission, etc.). But some blocks (range) of numbers may have been shipped to a Branch Assembly Plant that day and stamped later onto an engine assembly that was put together at that Branch Plant.

And the data point is Mar 17, 1917 engine assembly record date to Apr 21, 1917 when the owner paid the remainder of the cost of the car. The cost included the gas indicating he picked up the car or the car was at least ready to be driven home. If I counted correctly that was 35 days from engine serial log entry to customer could drive the car off the lot.

With the car being delivered to a customer in California, the car most likely would have been assembled at the nearest assembly plant. Those plants are listed in the back of the "Price List of Parts" but after looking through 5 small pamphlets and still not picking up a "Price List of Parts" I'll stop there and get ready for work.

Sometime during that 35 day period the engine was assembled and placed into a car. That could have been as early as the first day for a car assembled at the main Ford Plant, but in this case either the engine number by itself or the engine with the number would have been shipped to the nearest assembly plant and installed there.

Again thank you for posting the information. And if others have similar records -- please let us know the engine serial number and sales date.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:11 am:

Very neat piece of history.

I like the disclaimer at the bottom..."All cars operated by our employees are at owners risk and responsibility"

"Not responsible for damage to cars by fire"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:14 am:

The nearest assembly plant was across the bay in San Francisco.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:52 am:

"Stewart speedometer with board"
I guess that was a dash board not the firewall.
Were they a real board in 1917, not a metal stamping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:05 am:

Herb -- Info and pictures of the Stewart instrument panels are in the MTFCA Speedometer book. They show both the wooden board version and the stamped steel one, but no dates are given as to when they made the different types. Maybe Russ F. knows more specifics.

I took a wooden one which has a pretty nice speedo to Chickasha but didn't get any nibbles on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

Does anyone know what the fender brace and cutout are that are listed for $2.50 each on the bill? I wonder how of these bills get reunited with the cars. I sure wish I could find mine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration