A further key question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A further key question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Marshall on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:34 am:

I have managed to find a number on the key tumbler. There is a 5 and another mark. Being a Canadian car, would there be a difference in the way they were marked. If a photo is required I will post one as well. I have just had new prescription glasses made so I don't think it is my bad eye sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:32 am:

Keys and tumblers are numbered from 51 to 72. If your 5 is in the tens column, your number is somewhere in 51-59. If it's in the ones column, your number is 55 or 65. The tumbler numbers are often hard or impossible to read because of corrosion, wear, damage, being poorly stamped, or being filled with paint. Sometimes adjusting the angle of lighting makes the number readable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:19 am:

Of course if you have an early Clum tumbler, their numbers are different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:48 am:

Larry

Do you have a photo of a different # than 51-72 for Model T key?

Here are early '19-20 switches, the ones with the heavy cast lever in plate. The shiny painted is marked 'Clum' on the pin-back style terminal disc. This one is the 4-rivet face switch.

The other in rust is similar with pin-back style disc, but has the 2-rivet later looking face switch. But both have cylinders marked with normal 51-72 series numbers for the key.

4-rivet, the Bat and Mag stamped on the black plate (small, hard to see)

2-rivet, the Bat and Mag stamped on the cylinder face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Try taking a real closeup picture of the number with lighting from the side to create a shadow effect.
I did this and was able to decipher the number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:24 am:

I don't have a picture of it, but I do have a very early 1919 switch with a #16 key and tumbler.
The switch is round, with the Ford script, and is nickel plated. This was to be used on the very first fabric covered wooden dash boards, before they came out with the common retangular switch. For years, I've seen a guy at Hershey with a Clum keyboard. It looks similar to the Ford keyboard, but says Clum at the top, and has about the same number of keys on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Larry,

I think that this thread may have the switch you mention .

Regards, John

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/73403.html?1227542982

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 10:51 am:

Yup, that's it. I've got two of those amp gauges also, but the bezel is not nickel. Does anyone know who owns the car pictured? It would be interesting to know what the number is on the key.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration