OT - Earthquakes and Bees

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Earthquakes and Bees
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:18 am:

Curiously, Friday I noticed the bees had disappeared from their hive in our fireplace chimney. The 5.1 earthquake hit that evening. The bees came back the next day. Early warning, or coincidence?

The experts discount it, but major quakes are more likely to hit near sunrise or sunset during full moon or new moon, when the earth, sun and moon are in a line.

2010 january Haiti 7.6(?): Full moon, near sunset
2010 Feb, Chile 9.0(?): New moon, near sunrise

2011 Mar, Fukushima: Half moon

2014 Mar 28, Socalif 5.1: New moon, near sunset
2014 Apr 1, Chile 8.2: New moon, near sunset

I think the next time the bees move out of our T era house, we will too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:35 am:

...very selective statistics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Ralph,

Just a crazy theory, (or is it!): Did you use your fireplace at all on Friday? If so, you may have chased the bees away AND caused the earthquake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:40 am:

I don't know what the numbers say or don't say in regards to when exactly earthquakes happen. I do agree that animals of just about every variety seem to know when they should leave an area because of an impending natural event like an earthquake or tsunami.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:56 am:

There's a theory that because animals are so much more sensitive to their surroundings they can feel the earth start to "shake" due to the potential for earthquakes before the plates slip and the quake happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 11:01 am:

I keep bees in Ohio...sometimes they will do that if they decide to split and swarm. Sometimes a migrating swarm will leave completely and the bees you get back are just robbing the hive.

Or Queen might have taken a mating flight and everybody flew the coop and returned when she came back. They do weird stuff we can't explain and they are definitely sensitive to anything in nature.

Anyways, nice that you kept them in your fireplace, don't get rid of them. We had 25 hives and lost every one this winter. Just about all hives were lost over the crappy winter. either disease or starvation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 11:12 am:

From WiKI, " When pressure builds up prior to an earthquake, the quartz crystal in Earth's interior is deformed and creates an electrical charge. This phenomenon, known as the piezoelectric effect, can send electrical signals to animals. It is theorised that some earthquake sensitives may also be reacting to a change in the electromagnetism of an area caused by rising stresses on geological faults. There is also the possibility that radon is emitted prior to an earthquake."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 12:51 pm:

Interesting Ralph, The bee tree hollow thirty feet up was taken over by the coons. Not many bees seen now. Wonder if the proven tsunami with thirty eight foot 400 mph incoming water is closer then ever when my property is sixteen feet above sea level and only about twenty minuets to get to high ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

Paul, Sounds like keeping a set of water wings on the nite stand might be a good idea just in case the "big one" taps you on the shoulder.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:07 pm:

Its on most folks mind if they keep them themselves informed.
My bride works next to the beach in Seaside. In a rush to get to high ground roads will be jammed and she has to go a couple of miles. Only a few thousand feet for me.
The saving grace might be the Columbia river pushing back.
A long article recently in the paper said months to years before any utilities might be restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

Way too selective in the stats. What about the other 1.3 million quakes that occurred last year? California alone had over 100 aftershocks last week. As far as the moon is concerned, it's always full--Only the shadow of the earth striking it changes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

Didn't the Model Bee come after the Model a????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

I don't know about bees. However, we had an interesting run-in with ants. We worked on electronic systems equipment for more than 25 years. Three different systems, had large ant nests moved to inside running electronic equipment (so much so that the equipment failed having been shorted out by the ants bodies). This in the two days before the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.
One other time, we had one system invaded by ants to inside running electronic equipment. This was also two days before a different local earthquake.
In twenty-five years of such service work, no other running electronic systems were invaded by enough ants to short out the power supplies. Only four systems, in twenty-five years, all in the few days before a sizable earthquake. When the Loma Prieta quake hit, I was already expecting it. That ant business was just too weird.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:32 pm:

Whatever happened around here in the past is checked with forensic folks. They dug down in different areas at low water and found human artifacts buried at different levels with a layer of silt on top and were able to date 3 to 5 hundred years between tsunamis. Guess we are at around three hundred fifty years. I have seen what looks like cedar or spruce stumps well out in the surf at very low water in the Pacific. Cant worry about everything though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

Ken, tidal forces on the earth's water and rocks are indeed higher during full and new moons because the gravitational pull of the sun and moon are lined up, see the picture below:

tides

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:46 pm:

And we are about 60 (360+/-) years past due for our next big one off the Northern California, Oregon and Washington coast according to the findings. Portland Oregon also sits on the same fault line as what is off the coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 09:35 am:

Has anyone heard that animals are fleeing Yellowstone as they sense, what scientists believe will be the next major eruption of a volcano inside the park?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:25 am:

Paul,
The Columbia River will just cause a big "curl" like the undertow in the ocean! You will have a huge "breaker" form over Portland.

Don't worry about it. We all have to die sometime, and that way the pain will only last a little while!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:04 am:

Ralph,

Not as crazy as it sounds. Remember the Interstate highway bridge that failed in Connecticut some years ago. After the fact, people mentioned noticing an absence of Pigeons sitting on the bridge beams in the days before the crash. They seem to be able to hear or feel things we don't notice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:32 am:

How often should we check our bee hives in order to be safe from earthquakes? Daily? Hourly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

LOL! Another attitude adjustment for me Norm. Portland folk are ninety feet higher then I am if I remember right. If it came to available food and survive ability I would take here over Portland. obviously the indians survived with Lewis and Clark a few miles from my home.
It will be no joking mater if it happens anywhere on the west coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 02:02 pm:

OK guys. next time the bees move out, or the ants invade the electrics, please move your T's to higher ground. They quit making them in 1927 and I'd hate to see more of them suffer major water damage from a tsunami. BTW, I'd hate to see you guys lost as well, so stay with the T's on higher ground. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 02:09 pm:

OK OK Noel Doctors orders! I never listen to my doctor anyway LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

Here is a link to a NASA eclipse website listing moon phases for 6000 years if someone really wants to research this. The dates of major earthquakes are easy to look up thanks to the WWW.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/phase/phasecat.html

The great San Francisco earthquake on April 18th 1906 was 9 days after a full moon and 5 days before a new moon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

The Fires caused much more damage than he quake, even if it did start the fires.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

Geologists are working to debunk the internet rumor regarding the Yellowstone and the buffalo. There is no proven link between weather, moon phases, animal behavior and earthquakes.

A theory is defined as follows:

When used in non-scientific context, the word “theory” implies that something is unproven or speculative. As used in science, however, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.

Links between weather, moon phases, animal behavior and earthquakes are a belief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 06:53 pm:

Belief? . I prefer Enhanced Coincidence.

I showed 3 of 4 major quakes in the last four years were near full/new moon. You know of others, Tom?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

I agree with Jerry.
Ralf caused the earthquake by building a fire in his fireplace that drove the bees away
When the bees moved it upset the balance of the earth and the earth and it tried to adjust

Ralf -Stop messing with Mother Nature!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

Wasn't it a "scientific theory" that the earth was flat? Just ask'n ... :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

I haven't burned in that fireplace in a couple of years. Can't now: the flue is clogged with honey. If I light a fire now, honey will drop onto the smoke shelf.

The swarm hasn't come back after all. Dunno where they went.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Ralph, maybe you should burn some old hickory spokes in your fireplace and make some hickory smoked honey! Might start a new craze! Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration