Model T White Side Walls

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model T White Side Walls
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Roy on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Can the White side walls be painted on tires? I can't get the yellow off of mine.
Thanks Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 04:48 pm:

White wall formula paint is still available, a google search should help you find a supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

Steve: To get whitewalls white again, I use the purple Super Clean from Walmart @ full strength. Apply with a spray bottle and use a brush to scrub the tire. Rinse with water and you are done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

When I redid my Packard, I put whitewalls on it because that's what I saw on so many restored old cars.

But over the years I noticed that in factory photos, advertising, and period photos of cars on the street, whitewalls were uncommon.

In this 1943 photo most cars have blackwalls.

I realize the early cars had white and gray tires, but after tires went black I think white sidewalls were comparatively rare, especially in the case of a cheap car like a Ford. I think the next tires I put on the Packard will be plain old black sidewalls, just like my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:42 am:

The model A guys pretty much agree that no model A ever left the factory with white walled tires.
Whitewalls were a fad. Still are.

In the early V8 days Ford sold Ford brand tires that were white on both sides.

I think they all look better with black walled tires.
If the car is one color, the wheels are another and the main part of the tires are black you've got too many colors. It makes the car and its trim just too busy.
Most all black cars look good with white walls, especially if the car has black wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Harold - Noblesville, IN on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:31 am:

When I worked at a Nash garage in the early '50s, whitewall tires were definitely rare on new cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:38 am:

I've never tried it on tires, but I've had excellent results with the products shown below for changing the color of vinyl, plastics, and automobile carpet:

dye

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration