Who has a TT with a dump bed? I found this in my yard and think it's for a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Who has a TT with a dump bed? I found this in my yard and think it's for a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

When the majority of the farm sold, I had a couple of pieces hauled up to my house from the old gravel pit. One of them was this dump trailer that sat down there forever. I never paid much attention to it until I got my TT, I just knew it was part of the farm and didn't want it sitting on the land that was about to be sold.

I've had my TT for about 4 months now and I knew that the differential under this bed as it sits was way too big to be a TT, so I figured it was from a different truck. When I took a closer look yesterday, I saw that the dump bed was actually welded to a different rear end, and then turned into a trailer, so now I think this may have been for a TT after all! Does anyone have one of these or one similar? And if so, could you post some pictures? It was definitely a hand-crank dump bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

Ryan
I suspect that dump box is actually for a AA or quite possibly a later truck yet. I had a box that looked identical with a similar hand crank hoist and put it on a AA with dual rear wheels. Loaded with coal for the steam traction engine it needed the dual wheels. If you are not going to do any hauling it would probably be just fine on a TT, but in reality it would be a bit too big I think.
That being said, many years ago we put a old fuel truck tank on a '34 Ford dual wheel truck (V8 4 spd). Again it was too big to load up with gasoline, but it looked fine to most people!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

Ryan, I hauled a box home from Northern Minn. last Sept. It had been welded to a homemade trailer. The man that sold it to me, told me he had sold the TT truck 40 years ago. The one you have pictured looks like the one I got. I built a nice old dump truck last fall from a lot of stuff I hauled home. Don't let go of your box! Those old hand cranks are neat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Thursday, April 03, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

Thanks guys. Any pictures of these trucks? The dump bed is actually quite small. I guess I should have put my TT in the picture for some scale. The axle, wheels and differential are definitely from a later truck. I'm thinking the axle and wheels are from the 30s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 01:26 am:

Someday I'll take the time to learn how to post pictures. I really never take pictures. I'm lazy about that part of the hobby. I'll run up the hill and measure my dump box. Time out!------Its raining out, got a little damp but measured the top of the box. 72'' down the sides. That is the top where you can add a headache board. 49'' behind the cab up top. Half way down (behind the cab) 44''. That box looks just like mine and they look great on a TT truck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Lanning on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 02:32 am:

I bought a dump bed a couple years ago at a local farm auction. It was mounted on a TT frame and has a Ruckstell axle under it as well. It was an operating truck before the mechanicals wore out, so they converted it to a trailer. I have never figured out who the manufacturer was, but it is quite similar to a "Heil dual pivot gravity dump bed". I've looked through a book written specifically on dump trucks, plus Internet searches, but nothing matches exactly. All the write up on the Heil describes this one almost perfectly. When the latch is tripped at front center, gravity will let the bed rise and the linkage is such underneath that it shifts the pivot point center of gravity slightly forward. When the bed rises, a linkage causes the tailgate to unlatch. I have photos on my IPhone, but I don't know of any resizing app available for the phone. Probably could send to the Mac but I'm not that proficient yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Glowacki on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 07:51 am:

I send my iPhone pictures to my email. It gives me the option before it sends to choose a size. I choose the size that's under 200 and when I open the email it is the right size to post. Thanks for trying! I'll measure this bed on Saturday and see if it matches with yours Michael.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration