Bushing sizes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Bushing sizes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve osborne on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:07 am:

Searched and did some reading on replacing bushings in springs and perches. I was impressed with Steve's all thread press will be making one of those and putting it to use. But the question of the day is about size, a couple of the threads I read were complaining about bushings not fitting and how to ream the perch, or hacksaw the bushing so they went together better. I this still an issue with the bushings or will the ones I order fit perfect?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:36 am:

Press in the new bushing, the steel ones are rolled with a split, they will always compress when placed, so you have to ream the pressed in bushing after placing.

I use a big twist drill at low speed to ream.

Press using bench vise

ream with 14.5mm (.570") dia. drill

test fit prior to install

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 11:45 am:

The all-thread press is handy when the spring or perch is on the car. If they're off the car, a vise or a shop press is the easiest way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 04:14 pm:

Personally I am no fan of the split bushings sold by the parts suppliers. I have had fit problems with spindle arm bushings, crank holder bushings and shackle bushings. I prefer to make my own. Its no fun removing a worn bushing, installing a new one and discovering the fit is no better than the one you destroyed removing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:10 am:

I found the new spring shackle steel bushings are a lot softer steel than the Ford originals.
Another case of poor quality reproductions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

Well, since good Ford shackles isn't available anymore, it might be good the bushings are made of softer material so they wear first. 1917-23 split L style shackles are easy to restore, the 1923-27 U style isn't as easy to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 04:16 pm:

My complaint has been with the steering spindle bushings--the OD is too big, so when you press them in, they will oftentimes split the spindle--especially the early ones that don't have the "bulge" at the ends. I mic the hole and then the bushing and turn them down in the lathe for a .002 to .003 press fit--plenty tight! But what of the poor guy who doesn't have a lathe?
I wonder if anyone makes them to the Ford drawings??
Maybe I'm just missing something here???

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration