1915 seat upholstery, front edge by door finish

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1915 seat upholstery, front edge by door finish
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

I'm putting in a kit, 1915 T, owner has metal pieces that go on front top corner of seat upholstery (behind each door). However, this metal piece is larger than the wood tack strip.

Could someone post a picture of the correct way this is finished?

Thanks David Coco Winchester Va.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

1915 did not use the metal plates. Material is just folded there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

Ah, so that would seem to be the problem!!Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

As Jack posted, here is a view of the arm rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

Perfect, thanks for picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

David -- The metal cap began with the 1917 models. The '15 originally had that first pleat of upholstery on the arm rest done in leather, with the rest all vinyl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:37 am:

Mac's catalog lists the metal cap for 1914 and up, that's why the owner thought it should be on the car, when he brought them over it was evident they didn't fit the car. The seat covering was gone when I got the car to work on, I'd like to look at it and understand the original fabric...true vinyl wasn't really in use at the time, it had to be some kind of coated fabric...Pantasote was used for tops, and there was a leatherette product being made..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 08:45 am:

The original Ford upholstery was called "leatherette" and is a rubberized canvas type material. You can see it in my '17 torpedo runabout. Notice the original top rear strap is canvas (top material has been replaced):

I don't believe there is any accurate replacement upholstery or door panel material being sold today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 08:54 am:

Mac's has never been vary accurate in their year coverage for Model Ts. I wouldn't rely on a catalog from them to build a year accurate car.

I think Ford used a lacquer coated duck or canvas for the non-leather years but I've never heard Pantasote associated with Ford cars. It was a very high-priced material. Something Ford did his best to avoid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 10:42 am:

Royce: Turn your top strap ring around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:31 am:

This is yet another case of Mac's catalog mistakenly being used as an authoritative source for Model T information. It's true they have nice pictures, but their information is not always correct.

Larry -- I think Royce should be banned from all tours until he returns that ring to its proper position. :-)

David -- I was using the term "vinyl" in a generic sense. I don't know one vinyl-like material from another, whether it's real vinyl, lacquered canvas, Pantasote, or Unborn Naugahyde. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

Just my opinion based on casual observation and spending time around antiques in general:

The original artificial leather aka leatherette used in Model Ts is oilcloth, the plasticized coating derived from linseed oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

About ten years ago I found some coated cardboard in the local upholstery supply shop that was a light grey--other than the color, it looked like a very close copy of the door/cowl cardboard. Have no idea who produced it, or if it's available to day! Also don't know how durable it might be, but it might be worth looking around for some.
I suspect most folks would think the original stuff (if they found some)wasn't right, they're so used to side panels made by gluing material to the cardboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

Thanks for all the replies, didn't mean to criticize, Mike, on the vinyl comment..it's just my thought that vinyl now, while giving decent service, isn't exactly correct, but an original material is not readily available...I've seen oilcloth used in many applications, very difficult to find true oilcloth these days....the car I'm working on appears to have original door panels and front inner cowl panels, in decent shape.....I'm used to working on early cars in leather, but guess Henry couldn't find enough cows at some point, he was making so many cars...I'd be willing to bet leather cost about the same as a rubberized or coated fabric, it was cheap in those days.... but not as suited to mass production as material on a roll!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration