Look what I found today ... trashy story

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Look what I found today ... trashy story
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

While putting the finishing touches on my new engine I was getting ready to install the head. This is a head that I had already washed out, blowed out, and inspected with a flashlight. It was looked at by other people, been to the machine shop and machined, baked out, and painted. I looked inside again and then noticed a few flakes of dirt or ?? on my work bench. I blew it out again and then the dirt dobber nest fell out. Where the %^$#@ did that come from. After a few more small flakes fell out, I took a 2 foot piece of car antenna and bent a hook on the end. (shown in the photos) I inserted the straight end into my electric drill. I stuck it in the head and started to let it thrash around working it into all the corners I could get it to. . You can see from the pics what I got out of, what should have been a clean head. I still do not know where the dirt dobbers nest came from .??? I used a small dental mirror to inspect it this time . It looks good now.... The washers are all that remains of the thrust washers from 3 rear ends I was mining for good bearings. Just a reminder to check your thrust washers if you have not already done so. ... It will take me a minute or so to post the pics after this post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

trashtrash 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

The thrust washers look better than what I've found in some rear axles. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

Steve: the other 4 washers have went to the place that old thrust washers go to die. There was no sign of them. The small piece of wire shown with the scale from the head is, I believe, a wire used to support the core during casting. I have seen them before in heads. useally in about the same shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

Holy Crap - that pile of stuff came out of the head ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, April 04, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

yes, just the pile on the left not the washers .... You can tell from looking at the dirt dobbers nest that it was baked well, as the nest is black and toasty ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:52 am:

Good grief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:47 am:

Found a very rusty 1/4" x 3" bolt in mine!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 08:01 am:

Take a 2 foot long piece of old speedo cable,(even some 1/4 dog run cable) fray the one end really good and chuck the other end in a drill and have at it. You probably got 1/2 of what was in there... ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:02 am:

Donnie, a piece of wire like that came out of my head from my '20 last year too. My engine guy, Joe Bell, told me what it was for, then it made sense. But, of course, I've completely forgotten what the reason for it was, so there we have it!! CRS!!!
Had a bolt in mine too. Starting to think the boys on the line threw them in just to be ornery against ol' Henry!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:05 am:

I have found pieces of wire in the block castings of some of the old Mopars I have owned. I was told that wire was used to hold the sand cores together when the block was cast. Sometimes a piece of the wire gets left behind in the final casting when the core sand is removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:11 am:

trooper: The speedo cable sounds like a good idea. thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

The wire is used to hold the sand cores to form the water passages when the head (or block) is cast.

The wires sometime shake out on the "shake-out" table. Sometimes they don't. A lot of the dirt that comes out of cast iron engine parts has been in there since those parts were cast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

If you have a place that does acid metal stripping, like bodies, you could have the block and head cleaned there. Hot tanking alone just doesn't clean the rust and scale out. Just the loose stuff and grease/paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

The head and block were oven baked at 750 degree. Like I said, It looked good to just look inside it. I think the scale is loosened by baking and some of it falls off and comes out, but not all of it. They also shot peened the head and block inside and out after baking. But the shot or blasting medium will only hit with any force, what is in a straight line with the holes. The bent antenna or the frayed speedometer cable will get to the rest of it ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:41 am:

What Donnie found in the head he had cleaned up and machined is also found in engine blocks that have been vatted and cleaned up before being put back together.

After the block or head is heated up by being hot tanked then let dry after a few days scale will slowly turn loose.

You can use a speedometer cable or a small piece of wire rope chucked in a drill and clean it pretty well. The use of a coat hanger will get in tight places also.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration