Low clutch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Low clutch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mo garratt on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 07:08 am:

Hi.I adjusted the low clutch band on my model T as the clutch pedal was nearly on the floor to pull off it seemed fine but after just a few miles it was back to the floor again and now the adjuster is all the way in. does this mean that i now have to replace the low gear band or could there be any other reason for this happening as it seemed to happen over a very short period or time. Also i have read lots of different ways and problems replacing the band. .I am a bit of a novice on these cars but fairly good on modern cars. is there any sites or forums with detailed instructions on how to do this with pictures or video as i have looked and am yet to find any easy to follow instructions. Thanks for any advice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 07:20 am:

Hi Mo, it sounds like it's time to take the top cover off the hogs head and see if the drum is cracked and shredding your band lining, the Model T Ford service book is a good one to have to cover all T repairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 08:21 am:

The low pedal should be very close to the floor when the pedal is adjusted properly and you are pressing it enough to stop slippage of the band. If you adjust it with the pedal too high the band will wear very rapidly because it is not releasing enough to clear the drum.

Like Kerry says you ought to open the cover and take a look to see the condition of the drum and bands.

Take the key out of the ignition before opening the cover. Keys and other objects are tough to retrieve from the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mo garratt on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

Thanks for the reply. I have taken the cover off and from what I have seen the bands and drums look fine. . . not that I really know !! but the cotton looks to be about 3 mm which I would say that looking on the net is not too bad. Looks similar to the other bands.
Really appreciate your advice. Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

It may look good at the top and worn out on the bottom. I would say, if you have no adjustment left, the band has to come out and be relined. You can then check the drum closely without the band in the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

I had a similar experience and found that the drum had shredded the lining. It was all over the filter screen at the top of the transmission cover. Of course, if you don't have a screen it could be anywhere in the transmission including the funnel of the oil line. You must determine what has happened to your transmission and after you fix the transmission, pull out one of the front bolts under the inspection cover of the engine and start up the engine to see if oil flows freely. If it doesn't flow, you need to unclog the oil line. See my story on an earlier post.
Norm
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/104163.html

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration