Files a bit dull/blunt?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Files a bit dull/blunt?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:57 am:

FWIW, I copied this from another forum, dunno how good it works or what kind of media to use as I don't have a "grit blast cabinet".

If you have a grit blast cabinet or know someone who has; give the files a quick grit blast and they will come up good as new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

Would a grit blast cabinet use corn meal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Ken's method is how Ford sharpened their files. They claimed that after the first re-sharpening using this sandblast method, the files held their edges 10% longer than new ones. Maybe the heat from the friction had a slight hardening effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

A soak in mild phosphoric acid will also re sharpen them and leave a rust resistant coating. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Steve, I prefer my grits fresh, I'll pass on the grits after they've been used in your blasting cabinet! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Nothing better than good homemade grits, and nothing worse than a dull file!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

Ken,
I have done mine by soaking in Acetic (White Vinegar) acid for about 48 hours and then wash in water and oiled real good.
They get sharp but seem to "pin" a little faster than when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

Well Les, I guess the grits with the white vinegar washed in water might be to your liking but I'm concerned a little bit that you don't mention what type of oil you're using. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration