Bosch 009 Centrifugal- advance. Dist

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Bosch 009 Centrifugal- advance. Dist
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

Just confirmed my past knowledge. Of the 009 Dist. On the internet. It's is a Centrifugal. That why I never touch my retard rod. I'll take out the t today and drive it again with the lock down and rod movement to see if anything happens . Pricing is cheap like $64 to $84 . Most are laying around VW shops due to the smog laws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 12:37 pm:

In addition my T does not run red hot on the Exhaust anymore , sit at idle and press down in the tittle rod and it revs up pretty quick. Much fast than a vacuum advance or your hand reaction I have a driver here and I want my hand less free and also being able to shift the T and stop it on a dime

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 01:10 pm:

Virtually all modern disturbutors, including the 009, have centrifugal advance. The 009 is a poor choice, because it has less advance than most, and #3 is retarded a few degrees from the other cyls.

I run a 914 Bosch disturbutor in the ol' brass picup with both centrif and vacuum advance. The vacuum gives more advance at partial throttle for better fuel economy. It has 25 degrees centrifugal advance.

Some modern Bosch disturbutors in Ts turn the wrong direction, so the centrif advance has to be locked down and the advance done manually. Modern Bosch disturbutors are made to turn clockwise as viewed from above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Cunningham on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

How many degrees of total advance does the 009 have ?
Seems like there would not be enough if set at 17 degrees after top dead center for starting it would not be enough advance for running...?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Vacuum advance distributors will not work properly with a stock carb. They use what is called a ported vacuum source which is in the venturi just past the throttle valve, supplying vacuum at just off idle to midrange. Newer carbs have ports for this but T carbs do not. If you hook a vacuum advance distributor to manifold vacuum you will have the opposite of the intended effect.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 03:36 pm:

Lock down the centrifugal system. Add an advance - retard arm system and have a nice day. V W spark advance - retard curves do not work well for a Model T. An uneven bell crank will be necessary to have the levers work properly and will also magnify the rotation much the same as a high lift rocker arm.

spark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 03:38 pm:

How does one lock-down the centrifugal advance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

remove the breaker plate and use a piece of lock wire to hold the arms still so they will not move. Up or down does not matter. Once they are locked you can time the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

Why would you want to lock down the plates. No thanks my t runs way to well with the 009 and I'm hands free We'd set the 009 at 10 degree and get 30 degrees. I still have to rod attached, I can with the rod retard to a far minus, and if I moved that rod I can go out of the degree range and burn up the motor being to advanced. This set up is fantastic. Centrifugal the only way to go. When I first go this T running in stock it was like flying an airplane no flight but too many knobs to screw with. I wish I was working for ole Henry I would have told him how to build the thing Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 06:00 pm:

In 19777 my Father and I adapted a VW dist to the Thomas distributor for my 23' engine I was building for my speeedster. Then I herd but could not confirm that #3 was retired, my guess is the tower for the plug wire in the cap is spaced out of 90degrees from the rest. Not knowing which tower is #3 and if still true on the new replacement 009 distributor that are being made.
RD if you have the facts like a picture that shows which tower is #3 I'll try and find out if it's still true. If made into the point cam and not the cap i would like to find that info out too. Looking at any distributor with the points installed you can see the correct direction of rotation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

On VW air cooled beetle distributors like the 009 and others cylinder #3 was retarded a few degrees. This meant cylinder #3 on the VW engine, which is the forward cylinder on the left side. The reason for this is cylinder #3 runs hotter because air flow to it is partially blocked by the oil cooler tower on the engine. The retard is built into the distributor cam, not the cap & rotor. I don't think it is a problem using these on model T's, there are lots of them in use. If a few degrees one one cylinder is a problem, you are dealing with an engine in a performance and RPM range far beyond a model T.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

Eric , the VW burning # 3 valves were nothing to do with the Dist, it just did not get the cooling , your right buddy the Dist 009 is fantastic on Model T's , I want to thank the guy thT mentioned to run a ground wire to the Dist . Today the T ran beautiful. Not even a burp , tested. The left hand retard - advance. Lever- Nothing happened made it just level out with too much advance. The 009 no need to do anything but drive the vehicle mute down that lever. It climbed every hill I put it to never touched the advanced. Why would you it's centrifugal. Henry just needed a bit of German. Like the Scientists we brought over , thNks again for the extra ground wire made it all,possible fun drive and a purr at idle I bets it's 400 rpm with out stall

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration