Calendar vs Model

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Calendar vs Model
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 04:18 pm:

A little list of serial numbers by year is a familiar item. One place you see it is on the back of the MTFCI card. But it shows the numbers by calendar year. I wanted to have the model year numbers too, so I made this.

I plan to get a copy laminated and carry it at auctions and swap meets so I can identify engines I see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Steve -- Thanks for putting that together. I've been wanting a sheet like that.

Shouldn't the "Calendar Year" column begin with 1908?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

I just looked at Bruce's "Big Book" and it says that #1 through #309 were built in '08, and #310 thru #14,161 wee built in '09.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

Now that you mention it, yes, it should. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 12:01 am:

Corrected version:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:02 am:

Steve,
Thank you. A great quick reference sheet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:06 am:

1909 - 1915 center column needs some work. After that it lines up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 10:24 am:

Any specific suggestions on 1909-1915? I based the center column on info from Trent Boggess, Mike Walker, and Bruce's encyclopedia, but that doesn't mean I understood it all correctly and got it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 10:30 am:

The 1909 model year should line up with 1908 and 1909 model year production dates. Its just a matter of populating the information into cells properly. It looks like the 1915 model year having two lines has pushed it up, causing the misalignment with the earlier years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Officially there is ample evidence that Ford began the model year on October 1 of the preceding year. Thus 1911 "models" officially from Ford began on October 1, 1910 and ran through September 30, 1911. Later they shifted the model year. Since all changes were "running changes" with no shut down to change over from year to year, I think the more correct terminology is "style year" as it applies to things like body details..etc since those items were indeed introduced at various times inconsistent with calender year or model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:24 am:

C'mon, John -- Just when we had it all figured out! :-)

But along those lines, it occurred to me when I was mentioning the later production dates for the '15 year cars, I expect that Ford's fiscal "1915 model year" probably did begin on August 1 of '14, they just weren't able to produce the '15-style cars yet. So '14-style cars produced late in the '14 calendar year probably were, and should be now, called '15 model year cars. As I said, that thought occurred to me, but I didn't bring it up because it would just confuse the issue unnecessarily. Of course, you've never had that particular inhibition.....:-) (Just kidding...sort of) :-)

Steve -- In order to make Royce happy, you'll need to add a blank line below the 1915 line on the two outer columns. I don't think it has ever been that easy to make Royce happy! :-) (Just kidding Royce...sort of) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration