Suicide door coupe question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Suicide door coupe question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Last year I purchased a 1921 suicide door coupe and spent the winter working on the car. Now that the weather has broken and I can drive this car, I find that hills that I can pull with my other Ts with 2 gallons of gas in the tank I can't pull with the coupe unless I have 5 gallons in the tank. I know the fact that the coupe tank is in the trunk makes it easier for the car to get the carb above the tank. Is this a problem with these cars or do I have another problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Do you have the correct intake manifold? Some of them had a longer "leg" that dropped the carburetor lower on the coupes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

I know the early 1915+ center door sedans all had the tank under the rear seat cushion. They had a longer vertical leg on the intake manifold to allow the fuel to flow forward from the rear mounted tank. Even with this modified manifold there was an issue with fuel flow when going up hills.

brasscarguy I

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Ernie: Had same trouble with my 22 coupe on a tour when found myself behind a very slow TT on a very steep hill. No fuel flow and trouble truck had none, so rode trailer till we got to flat land. Discovered still had 4 to 5 gallons in tank but did not flow up hill. Fix is more fuel, pressure system for tank, or a aux tank up by carb that always has fuel in it and will flow on a hill enough to get you up and over. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:38 pm:

Ernie: Had same trouble with my 22 coupe on a tour when found myself behind a very slow TT on a very steep hill. No fuel flow and trouble truck had none, so rode trailer till we got to flat land. Discovered still had 4 to 5 gallons in tank but did not flow up hill. Fix is more fuel, pressure system for tank, or a aux tank up by carb that always has fuel in it and will flow on a hill enough to get you up and over. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

Sorry about the double post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Ernie, I have an after market model T coupe with the tank in the trunk. I came equipped with a vacuum fuel pump under the hood. This system was to overcome the hill problem you are talking about. It did not work when I bought the car, so I replaced it with an electric pump and regulator. This solve my repair problem and hill climbing problem.
A pump would be one solution to your problem. You could have a switch and only turn it on when climbing a hill. Some means of putting a little air pressure into the fuel tank would also work.
You only need a few ounces of pressure to make the differences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

Willie, I have ordered a fuel pump. You state that you have a regulator on your fuel line also. The pump I ordered produces 2.5 to 4.5 lbs. of pressure. What pressure do you set your regulator at?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Ernie, I think I have a little less than 2 lbs on the setting.
My thinking was that fuel weight is slightly less than .5 lbs for a foot of fuel. A standard fuel tank is less than two foot above the carburetor which would be 1 lb of pressure or less with a full tank, so you do not want too much pressure.
That 4.5 lbs might be a little to high????
I have gone up some very steep hills with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

Willie,
Do you have a valve in the line that allows you to run gravity and then only use the pump on the hard hills?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

Ernie, no I turn on the pump before I start the car and it stays on. I think the Deluxe coupe tank is even further back than your 1921 coupe.
I also have a coupe body that I had rewooded out at the West Coast. (still not on the car)
I am guessing it is about 1920 or 21.
Here is a photo of the after market bodied coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration