Carb ID?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Carb ID?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, April 05, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

I pulled off the carb today to give it a good cleaning since i didn't know when it was done in the past. Are there any obvious clues as to determining what carb i really have? Didn't see any real markings on it, is it shape, size?..how can you tell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 12:06 am:

John, how about a picture of just the carb? Can't tell much from that shot. Since you have it off, you can shoot photos of it from both sides. If we see it we can probably ID it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 12:24 am:

Steve, that was a pic from when i first picked up the car, i know its pretty lousy. I pulled it off today cleaned it and re-installed it. Was just wondering if there are any obvious tell-tale signs of what i have, and what to look for to identify it. Is it possible without actually having it off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 12:37 am:

Most of them have a tag on the side toward the engine, but if you can get a shot down close like this we may be able to ID it without seeing the tag.

If the tag is there, maybe you can see it with a mirror.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 12:55 am:

Steve, unfortunately no tags to be found. I will take a closer picture like the one you posted. Do you use an in-line fuel filter?..my T seems to only have a sediment bulb off the tank and nothing more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 07:26 am:

John, we can tell what is is with out a tag. Some of the guys could tell what it is by feel :-). As Steve said post a good pic of the carb and we can tell you what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:48 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/C-D.htm#Carb1
Click on the name of the carb and it will show pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:50 am:

Too me it looks like a Holley NH from John's picture, but a closer shot could tell us better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Your car has the stock Model T fuel arrangement, with only the sediment bulb. Some people add a glass bowl type filter, but anything that can restrict the flow when used without a fuel pump, like a paper filter, will give you trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:20 am:

John most of the carbs are either a Holley NH or a Kingston. If you have a large FLAPPER in side the top of the carb then you have a Kingston. If there is no flapper and no very large screw on top of the carb just behind the spray needle then you have an NH. The large screw is very very noticeable on top of the Kingstone. If you look at the carb just above you will see that there is no large screw just in front of the choke, therefor its an HOlley NH.
One other thing that you might consider is NOT putting your front shut off directly into the carb like the one above. Put an inline shut about 2 inches behind the Carb. If you put a shut off directly into the carb every time you want to take the carb off to give it a good cleaning or work on the manifolds you have to climb under the car and shut the gas off at the sediment bowl, that's not my idea of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 11:43 am:

John -- You shouldn't need an additional fuel filter. You might need to work on your sediment bulb. Those originally had a very fine mesh screen in their outlet. Some of those screens have been removed over the years. If yours has no screen, you can get a screen from the T parts vendors and solder it in place. You don't need to remove the whole bulb to do that; the outlet unscrews from the bulb. But you might want to take the bulb off to clean it as well, while you're at it. I would.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration