Cylinder head water connection unit - substitute?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Cylinder head water connection unit - substitute?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Talbot on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 06:26 am:

Living down in Australia I'm finding takes a few weeks to get parts down here. We have a run scheduled this Sunday and my cylinder head water connection unit is corroded away to nothing. Is anyone aware of a modern thermostat housing I may be able to adapt until I can get a replacement part out from the US?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 08:33 am:

Daniel, there are thousands of Model Ts and people with them in Australia. Why not contact one of the clubs or an owner and I'm sure you can get exactly what you want, any part you get from the states will take far longer to get to you than even from us on the east coast.

Exactly what year outlet do you need?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Daniel, I found myself in a similar situation a while back. I needed an outlet and didn't have time to get one from a T vendor. I went to a local parts house and looked through their catalog. I found that a housing for a 1955 Chevrolet V8 is close. The angle works, and the bolt holes will fit after they are elongated a bit. The hose diameter is smaller but I solved that by making a short sleeve from a smaller diameter hose. Some parts houses also have these sleeves. Mine made from a piece of hose weeps a little due to water wicking through the reinforcing cord plies.

Finding a 1955 Chevy part might be just as difficult as finding a T part for you though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

Daniel,
If you are handy and have a scrap iron pile, or know someone that is/does, you could make one from scratch in a few minutes.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

A suitable temporary solution would be to coat the outlet with RTV, it does not need to hold pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

In a word? Braze. I have brazed several over the years. There does have to be enough iron left to take the heat and begin the process to build it up. For one, I cut some chunks out of scrap iron pipe to fill in missing areas and hold shape when red hot. Once done and painted, they looked fine and worked great!
A fast temporary fix is 1/8 inch wire screen in small pieces and lots of J B Weld put on in layers to build it up. It is good to near 400 degrees Fahrenheit (way above a boiling T) and works better than one would likely expect. A good permanent repair? NO! The heat and water will eventually break it down and it will turn into crud. But I have used J B Kwik on tours without adequate curing time and been surprised how long it held up. (I still have a block with a factory sand-mold defect that blew out on a tour. Repaired on the side of the road and run for a couple years after) But I do not recommend a major repair for long term in that application.
Good Luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, April 06, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

I ground mine level and brazed an old slow speed drum bushing onto the outlet on my '23. It lasted for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:19 am:

Daniel, there is a model T section in the Veteran car movement in WA. Contact them and I am sure they will be only too pleased to help out. Send me a private message and I can put you in contact with a member or two in Perth.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration